1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost issues

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by coilz347, Nov 21, 2022.

1. coilz347

Hi guys,

I have a 93 coupe with a 410 Windsor, afr205, fti cam, spyder intake, 80lb injectors and a tkx transmission. I just recently upgraded my turbo from a 78/75 t4 cast wheel and a .96ar to a 78/85 with a billet wheel and a 1.25ar.

on our last track outing I tried upping the boost from 9-10psi to 14-15psi

as soon as the turbo would spool it would spike 15psi and then quickly flatten out to 10psi where I’d shift near 6000

is this a waste gate, turbo or back pressure issue.

I never noticed this with the smaller turbo but I also never ran more then 10psi with it either.

thanks for the help

2. Mnlx

How are you controlling boost? I'm guessing the 7875 is struggling with back pressure on that combo, but a simple controller change may help.

3. F4K

Perform a boost leak test just to ensure you are not leaking all your boost pressure out which will overspin the turbo and create high IAT and lost power, high EGT, could lead to engine destruction.

4. bbi_turbos

Sounds like wastegate being opened by exhaust pressure to me. What spring is in your w/g?