1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone run a single turbo mounted on one manifold of a V engine?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by DatCompound, Mar 17, 2023.

1. DatCompound

I'm curious if anyone has any experience running a V engine with a single turbo, where the turbo is mounted on one of the manifolds, forcing the flow from both banks to merge in one manifold. If you have, did you see any issues or things to avoid? I know some old GM engines had that configuration for their standard NA exhaust where the one bank would cross under the engine into the other manifold, and then out of the rear of that manifold to the rest of the exhaust. And the Oldsmobile Jetfire even used that scheme for its turbo, having the driver's bank run through the entire length of the passenger bank before entering the turbine, so it's certainly possible, though probably not optimal.

[​IMG]#ad

For background I'm looking at packaging on my Dodge 8.0 V10 and that might offer the cleanest, simplest plumbing to tie the manifolds together with a cross under, and then mount a T4 flange, likely somewhere near the rear of the passenger bank. It would be a lot cleaner and simpler than my original plan of swapping the manifolds around, and it sure beats fabricating from scratch.

2. tbird

This is how all factory grand nationals where configured.
    While it works, it has been found by some to restrict the outlet side of the engine. Especially when they start to lean on the engine for greater power output.
    Some newer manifolds that crossover like this are actually divided to keep the banks separated until it reaches the turbo.

I would say any t4 turbo as a single, is gonna be way undersized for that engine.

B E N likes this.
  3. B E N

This. You might get away with a pair of T4's, or a single T6, but it will depend on how hot the engine is.

The crossover setup is similar to how Holley cast LS turbo manifolds are set up. You would be well off to mimic their separation. [​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    tbird likes this.
  4. DatCompound

It's a pretty mild application- probably 8psi max on it. Hardly trying to set the world on fire. That's why I'm contemplating it as an option.

And it's more a T4-ish flange. It's for an HX50 I've got lying around which has a flange that's close to a T4 but slightly larger. If I recall correctly it's something like a 96mm turbine, 72mm compressor, which matches pretty nicely with the displacement and power goals.

5. KEVINS

As was mentioned above the 86/87 Grand Nationals used that type of layout and many fast (9 seconds) ones still use it.
    For the GN's the crossover is 2.25" and it's not recommended to go bigger than this due to inducing lag so the 10 to 9 second cars still maintain the 2.25".

I think if you mimic the GN design w/o getting to crazy or worried about fine details you'd be happy with the performance.

ks

6. jbliss15

My setup is like this it seems to work pretty well

Passenger manifold into back of drivers side then turbo mounted on drivers side manifold