1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost issue, maybe wastegate?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Joel_400, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Joel_400

So I was out giving the old S10 a butt whooping today and it seems to have a new issue. Upon gear shifts it seems to have pretty bad boost lag. Goes up around 8 to 9, shifts, then hovers around 5 for a bit, then comes back. Almost like the wastegate is sticking open when it hits peak boost then closing after a short time. The truck itself seems to be lacking a bit from normal. Usually it just drops and raises back up very quickly. Last time i drove it it ran perfect. Its been a month or so, but before that was about 4 months ago, hasnt seen much winter use. Could the wastegate cause this type of issue? It's just a cheapo VS racing I bought from Summit 3 years ago.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. KEVINS

Could be or a BOV sticking?

ks

3. Joel_400

Never really thought about the blow off valve sticking, but usually it doesn't open until I lift the throttle. It's an automatic so I never lift...well until I'm happy with the rate of speed I'm traveling. Haha Myself I'm no guru with how this stuff all works, but I did make it work originally, so I know it can be better than what it is. Maybe the gate isn't closing quick enough to rebuild the lost boost from the shift is what I was leaning towards?
    Joel

4. B E N

Check your vacuum lines.

Check for boost leaks (coupler separating, clamp tightness etc).

5. Joel_400

So it's back up to normal operating conditions. I disassembled the waste gate the other day and cleaned up the valve a bit, had some carbon deposits on the valve stem. Lubed it up good and reassembled it. Checked for possible places for boost leaks, didn't see anything sticking out so took it for a drive and it seems to be better now.
    Joel

jbliss15 and Russell like this.
  6. jbliss15

There is a YouTube video about how to bullet proof the cheap wastegates and basically you
    did it, just smooth out the shaft on the valve

Mine stuck open several times until I did this