1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BOV with Low Boost Rear Mount

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by CSteffen489, Jan 26, 2019.

1. CSteffen489

Good afternoon all,

Probably a dumb question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I figured I'd double check anyway.

I've been working on a rear mount turbo for my old pickup (in sig) and I just had to change some of the charge piping, so right now I don't have the BOV in. Do you guys think I run any real risk of hurting the turbo if I run it without the BOV for a little while? This is a pretty low boost setup, my goal is maybe 6 psi but the most I've seen is 3-4 so far because I kept blowing off the intake boot on the TB, which is why I changed the piping up.

Mostly wondering if I can drive it some to confirm that I fixed the boot blowing off issue.

Thanks in advance

2. Mnlx

Many will tell you that you don't need a bov at all at 10 psi or less.

3. CSteffen489

I would definitely be okay with that, makes things a bit easier. Thanks for the input! Any other input is welcomed.

4. CSteffen489

Any other input? General consensus that I don't need a BOV at low boost levels? I suppose if i start blowing intake tubing off when letting off of the throttle that'll tell me I need one lol

5. Monzsta

Well you don't see many blow off valves in the diesel world, and they run insane pressures. Of course they don't have a throttle plate closing in the face of max boost either.

6. Mnlx

Its tough on the thrust bearing without a bov at higher boost levels. It also helps maintain compressor wheel speed on decel which is important for on, and off boost response.

CSteffen489 likes this.
  7. CSteffen489

Yeah.. lol really I'm just wondering if slamming the throttle shut is going to hurt my turbo at low boost levels. It's possible too that I'll blow off tubing but I'm less concerned about that.

8. CSteffen489

Thanks for the additional feedback! At the end of the day, this turbo is fairly expendable so I think I'm just gonna run it for now and see what happens. If I kill the turbo quickly or have a lot of issues blowing off intake piping then maybe I'll add one.

9. Mnlx

If the turbo is healthy, and you feed it with enough oil, you won't have an issue even at 10+ psi. Many do not run bovs with much more boost.

CSteffen489 likes this.
  10. CSteffen489

Awesome, you've quelled my fears haha. I appreciate the help.

11. rdakota340

We got have some natural gas trucks with 9L cummins in them they put out 28Lbs of boost and they have no BOV with any issues of blades breaking or bearing failure.

12. CSteffen489

Are these factory trucks? Any more info about them? I'm intrigued lol

13. rdakota340

They are FreightLiners M2

CSteffen489 likes this.
  14. tbird

Had a gn turbo on a mid mount with no bov. Chopped like hell when dumping throttle. GNs never had Bov so I guess its not a big deal.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  15. ss496

But are they fuel throttled or air throttled?

No real need for a BOV if fuel throttled....unless its an unusual application

16. Disney Lincoln

100,000 Thunderbird Turbocoupes with no BOV can't be wrong.

CSteffen489 and rdakota340 like this.
  17. ss496

^ thats a good point

GN's too

But they came back out on DSM's and audi 1.8T's

Probably can be summarized as....run it...if you can hear compressor surge on a shift....then consider a BOV

CSteffen489 likes this.
  18. rdakota340

Yes they have throttle blades.

19. CSteffen489

Thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it. If I hadn't asked I'd have put the BOV back on because I thought I needed it haha

rdakota340 likes this.