1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MAC Valve and EMF

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by HardcoreABN, May 31, 2020.

1. HardcoreABN

The ideal place for me to mount my MAC valves for my waste gates is like 4" from my ECM. Any ideas if the solenoids will create enough of an EMF to interfere with the ECM or make it unhappy? There would be 2 of them within 6" of the ECM and the Throttle Actuator Controller.

2. Boost Engineer

EMF is a bad deal. At my old job, EEC (Electronic Engine Calibration) "calibrators" told me stories of vehicles they were driving that received a very high EMF signal that did weird things the engine was not happy with.
    Why take a chance? In most cases the EMF signal is not that strong and if you move the control box behind a metal firewall
    most of the issue is removed.

In some applications the computer could be removed from the firewall on the engine side but the wires were still seeing the EMF signals. Moving the computer and wiring farther away from the "generators" of the signal always helped.
    Common sense there. So explain why you would mount the equipment that affects the engine close to a EMF generator.

Tom V.

3. B E N

Can you not move the ECM? Tin shielding may help the cause as well.

4. HardcoreABN

In a way it is the ideal placement for them because it would put them about an 8" long line away from the waste gate. But I am aware of the problems that EMF can cause on electronics which is why I posed the question. It would be easy for me to put a valves behind a grounded copper shield which in theory should absorb any EMF that they may produce. Then again, I have just enough knowledge of EMF to get myself into trouble haha.

5. Boost Engineer

IF the copper shield was grounded to the negative side of the battery (with a wire) you should be ok.
    That is what the OEMs have done in the past with shields. And the shield covering some of the the basic unit if packaging will allow.
    Tom V.