1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost Control Solenoid Placement

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by HardcoreABN, May 28, 2020.

1. HardcoreABN

I am about to plumb my boost control solenoids. Does it matter how far from the turbo and waste gate they are? I will be running 2 3-way MAC valves per side. The turbo and waste gate are pretty close to each other. Ideally where I want to mount the valves would be about 4' away from the turbos and waste gatges. Is this too far or should I look significantly closer.

2. Disney Lincoln

air is easily compressible, so the farther away you are, the slower the signal. That said.... I don't think 4' is going to produce some horrible results.

3. westcoastwrenchin

From my experience plumb as close as possible to the wastegates. Moving my solenoids 2ft closer to my wastegates was a huge improvement

4. Boost Engineer

I would agree with westcoastwrenchin on this one.
    I have always tried to have the control solenoids close to the part I am trying to control.
    Tom V.

5. HardcoreABN

The problem I have, is my gates are pretty much along side my oil pan. There is pretty much no room on the firewall. I could mount them really close, but that location would put them next to my PCM and I am not overly confident that the EMF from the coils will not screw with the PCM.

6. Boost Engineer

We use to mount them on a location above the water cross-over.
    Middle of the engine away from the radiator/exhaust/spark plugs but with some air cooling from the grill/fan.
    We used smaller diameter line (steel or teflon) and that smaller signal tube area allowed them to control the wastegates more consistently.
    Tom V.

7. KEVINS

Mine is about 4-5ft of line but I use 1/4" hose and it only spikes about 1 psi at 32psi of boost.

ks

8. Boost Engineer

1/4" line diameter is a good choice.
    Tom V.

9. HardcoreABN

I will be using a combination of 1/4" stainless hardline and braided stainless line. I want 0 issues with melted nylon line.

10. Boost Engineer

I have no use for nylon material line except as a weed wacker line.
    Tom V.