1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost coming on hard

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by efi265, Aug 30, 2017.

1. efi265

Hi guys had a 65-64 with a 1.0 housing and would come on boost at 3500 rpm really hard and try turn the my car around at 120km in top gear
    Now have a 72-68 with a .84 housing and boost is coming in at 3800 rpm so worse spool and it barely spins the wheels in top gear at 120km
    My question is I want to fullspool around 3200 or less. I can get at.68 housing for my 72-68 guessing this will help spool or do I get another 65-64 with like a .84 housing .
    What makes the boost hit so hard ?I like it and want earlier spool as above but be cool if it comes on made as before too
    Don't want much
    my car will only rev to 6500 rpm and is a 4.3 litre straight 6
    Thanks 20150705_190320.jpg #ad

2. Drac0nic

What comes to mind is a combination of powertrain as well as turbo size. In general smaller wheels will spool faster, and you'll make more power up top with bigger wheels IF you need the flow. The reason the 65 comes on faster is because there's less mass there to get going. How much power are you making, I'd think the smaller turbo with a smaller turbine to be a better match in all likelihood.

3. efi265

Wanting around 600 rwhp
    Getting 520 at the moment would more boost help the spool guess 23psi be tuff er than 18 turbo matrix rekons this turbo is good for 800 odd at 10 psi

4. Jeremy

.68ar may work nice for ya for the 500-600rwhp range, anymore and it might just start to choke it north of 6k rpms but will def bring everything on sooner and pick up a lot of torque. I had a billet wheel 7068 with .68ar on a 4.6 v8 was a blast to drive spooled instantly while driving and boost came in hard. However started choking the motor around 14psi 600rwhp. I was able to push it to 18psi put wouldn't go any further than that. Made 640rwhp 700rwtq which was awesome but lost my top end as power was dropping off hard at 6k rpms (my setup can rev to 7k)

I would keep the bigger turbo you have and swap on the .68ar housing and give it a try.

Monzsta likes this.
  5. efi265

Cool for street use 6000rpm is like 100 plus mile per hr and in New Zealand where I live the roads are not that fast generally so thanks will order a housing and see what happens if it can pull to 6000 rpm I'd be more than happy be enough power for sure as it is a low end torque engine it'll love it