1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

boost= brakes are hard?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boosted88, Jan 8, 2010.

1. boosted88

am i suppose to have something in between my vaccum block and my brake booster?

2. furchaser

Yes a check valve so you are not pressurizing your brake booster.

3. River City Speed

LOL, "way back in the day" my mustang had a Vortech S-trim on it. On one pass, I blew ALL of the vacuum lines off the intake, including the brake booster line. Talk about hard pedal... Try it at 125mph with @ an 1/8 mile to slow it down and turn off. Interestingly enough, the instructions never mentioned putting a check valve in the lines. That was about 1996.

4. 302andsome

What type valve are you guys using?

5. furchaser

Mine came with one but the wrecking yards are full of them .

6. Millhouse

Your brake booster should already have one on it.

It's the little plastic piece attached to the brake booster and vacuum line here...

7. 302andsome

That's what I thought that was. Just wanted to make sure though since I never gave it much thought. Thanks

8. boosted88

Mine must be shot then cause thats what i thought that was... and i got on it for the first time on the street and almost blew a stop sign... no very comforting, well ill have to run to napa or something a pick up a new one, thanks alot guys

9. bgjohnson

What did you do for mods? Bigger cam will make it brake harder too, or a vac line either left off or a vac leak.

10. boosted88

just turbo, stock cam, i have everything coming off of the vaccum block, bov, wastegate, manifold, boost gauge, fuel reg, and brake booster.... that sound okay or am i doing something a$$ backwards?

11. bgjohnson

Yeah, just make sure that vac block hasn't split. 20-30 year old plastic doesn't like boost too much. You should also have a vac canister that stores vacuum. Those can split as well and leak vacuum.

First I would replace the 90*. Then , using your mouth, Blow into the source vacuum for the vac tree and listen for leaks. If you have an air compressor, turn it down to 10psi and hook it up to the source line.