1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost and the $800 Eagle cast 383 kit... Would you?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Monzsta, May 9, 2014.

1. Monzsta

I'm trying to drag my project out of limbo and I find myself with new parts and a dilemma. Of course my build plans have strayed from what I wanted originally.

The car is my beloved '78 Chevy Monza. I've already fitted it with a Viper T-56 and a 9" and had it running around on a carbed thrown together 350 with a cam and Canfield 195 heads. The engine expired when the roller cam valve springs finally had their way with the flat tappet cam. So I pulled it, got an ebay Eagle cast 383 stroker kit, (lowest compression pistons offered) bored the block .060" and put the short block together. This was about five years ago. or so, and never got the engine off the stand.

Fast forward to today, I have an Edelbrock pro flo efi sbc manifold, a megasquirt, and two Precision turbo's (68 turbine 70 compressor) GT35RLSPS. And I want boost.

Now, common sense tells me to sell what I got and slam a 4.8/5.3 in there and boost that. But everything on the car is already set up for the small block. No oil pan fiddling, building new mounts, clearance issues, ect ect.

So I'm wondering, if madness sets in and I put the Eagle 383 back in the car and get the turbo's mounted would it be a wasted effort. The static compression should be under 10:1, I'm just concerned about crank breakage. Sane boost levels and keeping the rpm under 6k ought to let it live a bit while I plan my next motor.

Dunno. What would you do?

2. yellowlt1ta

If I was in that position I would find out what my dynamic compression would be with the cam that I'm gonna use. If its good for boost then I would put it all together and have fun with it. Keep rpms below 6k and low boost.