1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bone Stock 1990 460 ford turbo selection

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by codyfordo, Jun 12, 2017.

1. codyfordo

Long time lurker, turbo newbie, but I learn quick.

To cut to the point I have a 1990 ford Centurion (1 ton 4 door bronco based on a F350 crewcab 4x4 chassis) that needs some help in the power department for towing. I'm looking at a diesel swap, but cost wise i'll be into it for a fair bit (~3g), such that, its cheaper to build what I have, being the stock 460.

So, the motor I have is BONE stock, sans emission equipment and a k&n intake. Eventually I want to build a proper motor, but that is years down the road and I'll re-do or ditch the about to be discussed turbo setup to match said motor.

Power wise, stock its ~220-240"ish"hp and 400+ ftlbs. I'd like to get to 400ish flywheel hp, or as much as I can safely push the stock pistons. The motor right now is in good shape, good compression, no blow by, doesn't burn oil, etc (it does have 170xxxmiles though). I figure that 400 range is a good safe number, and likely reachable with a mere 7psi boost, correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong, as the other limitation is this has to be a 91 octane motor max, lower if possible.

For fuel, I'd use a holley 750dp carb converted to blow through, and an adapter to convert the EFI intake to accept a carb (price motorsports makes one, or I can cobble one together). Then convert the ignition over to something, dunno what just yet, but I have a few options and I'd build headers & exhaust myself as well.

That said, running through all the numbers through with a max rpm of 5k rpm, and I'd like to have a full 7psi boost at 2750 (direct drive at ~65mph) rpm. My limited understanding, roughly 330cfm per turbo, says that running a pair of twin T04E in a 57 trim (this one for reference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180602223770?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) will get me to where I'm hoping to be on this small build. Plan would be to run one turbo off one bank, and the other off the other bank, use a pair of external waste gates and a bunch of fab work to tie it together. I'd run a superduty intercooler as well done.

Now with that turbo selection, yes it's small, but is it too small? the compressor map seems to line up well, and the goal here is no lag, high torque, on a stock motor using cheap ebay turbos for towing purposes, not the strip, and I'm not looking to upgrade the system down the road (it'd be a complete motor upgrade/swap).

What would another turbo option be? I'm not adverse to running a single turbo, but I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible. Would a single ebay GT45 get the job done and have the same results as the twin t04e's? I know it'd be small, but fits within the budget and less parts. Compressor map is close too. Or are there other Ebay alternatives or used big truck diesel turbos (that I can find locally) that'd get this done and be sub $300? I do apologize for the questions, but my turbo knowledge is lacking (I've done a lot of searching but did not find these exact answers).

Now the whole goal is a sub $1000 (cdn) into it, and using parts I already have. Transmission work I'll leave the auto till it blows (e4OD will have to do some wiring trickery with eliminating the efi though) and then swap to a zf 5spd.

Thanks for any help guys.

2. tbird

Im gonna guess those will work for what you want.
    For 100 a piece. All you've got to loose is that they might not be what is advertised. Ive seen a couple of videos where guys but super cheap ebay turbs and pulled them apart to find they where waaaay smaller.

If they dont work out you can always bolt different t4 turbos on it.
    I cant give a good answer on a gt45. We have a gt42 on a buddies sbc 350 and it comes up at 3000 but the 460 might eat it up quick.
    I know s475 borgs work pretty good on mild built 460s.

If you going cheap just try things.
    If you want it work, call a turbo company that has experience and will steer you towards what will work.

3. Forcefed86

4. tbird

what the! whats up with the triple deal?

5. Forcefed86

Cheap easy power. 3 cheap little turbos can put out the work of one large expensive one… If you have the space and set them up right.

6. codyfordo