1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

overboost protection to use cheap gate

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boosted C-10, Dec 22, 2014.

1. boosted C-10

What do you guys think of using some kind of overboost failsafe for piece of mind and running a cheap wastegate. Also what would be a cheap overboost failsafe setup? I was thiking a hobbs switch set to a certain level that would cut the ignition if triggered??? Not sure just something I thought of to maybe save a few bucks

2. Jeremy

Most electronic boost controllers have an overboost shutdown setting and it definitely works lol

3. boosted C-10

Thanks for the reply...... I was thinking of doing something on the cheap not buying a 500+ dollar electronic boost controller,but thats got me thinking if there was a boost controller that does it all it would save on gauges, and I would feel safer running a cheap wastegate. So do you know of a setup that has a wideband also??

4. Jeremy

I run a standalone wide band. Unfortunately the safest way isn't always the cheapest most of the time. Also a wastegate is a very critical part of your system so I'm not a fan of running cheap or knock off wastegates anyway. My eboost2 controller is also my boost gauge, it also records rpm and beak boost and has a boost setable output for spray or methanol or that can be used to trigger a relay for anything such as a timing cut.

I know there is a new aem wideband with a a/f setpoint for external trigger for cutting timing as well etc.

5. boosted C-10

Yeah I will just bite the bullet and spend the money on good stuff thanks for helping make up my mind.... im planning on a s366 or s400 on a stocker 350 882 heads with a summit 1103 or 1104 cam.....you think I should man up on some forged pistons and aluminum heads. Will just be some speed pros and procomp or skip white nbk heads.... will set me back another grand or so but wouldnt i be able to crank it up a bit more if I get bored? Will also be spraying washer fluid on a progressive control. Where would you say I will be on the edge either way bone stock and with heads and forged slugs

6. leeperryracing

Get the forged speedpros pistons(cheap but good) I have a set in my TT 355 now thats almost 10yrs old, those 200cc skipwhite heads will also be way better than stock 882 castings. A set of i-beam rods with good bolts can be had for $250-300 all day long.....might wanna just do that too.

7. boosted C-10

You guys are hard on my wallet! Hahaha..... Appreciate your guys' answers! Last thing I would like some input on is turbo selection. I will buy the speedpros, skip white aluminum heads, and the ibeam rods mentiomed above with arp hardware. Motor wil be in a 69 c10 shortbox pickup under 4000lbs, th400 trans, it will be street driven and kept under 5500 rpm or so...... Im wondering if I should go with a borg warner s366 .91 ar OR borg warner s400 1.10 ar I will be happy with 500rwhp as im sure that will be more than enough to scare myself.

8. leeperryracing

I wouldn't bother with a single s366 on a 350 with decent heads and intake, go with at least an s400 of some sort......1.10ar t4/t6 or 1.32ar t6.

9. Gen1SVE

My over boost failsafe is in the tune, yank timing...

10. boosted C-10

Leeperryracing will there be much difference in spool up betwwen the two? I understand pushing something close to its limit(s366) wont be as efficient as a bigger piece and it will increase air temps but I love the supercharger like punch and would like it to be as close to that as possible so i wanna spool it fast. Will be doing all I can to help it running 2 in crossover shortest length possible, short straight run from compressor outlet to carb hat and 4 in downpipe..... I have only been in roots type supercharged cars nothing turbo other than diesels and I would think they are apples to oranges.

11. boosted C-10

GEN1 are you talking about running a boost retard? Or just keeping the timing back enough to where yoi wouldn't need to worry about it? A boost retard makes sense and I didn't really think of it as a type of failsafe until now :)

12. goatnipples2002

Thats what I do. I run a turbonetics evo but I always want protection.

13. boosted C-10

Right on thanks for helping me out guys...... I wouldn't even be considering this build if it wasnt for this site and the members here

14. Gen1SVE

In the boost map of my tune if the boost goes over the deemed "safe" amount it pulls timing.

15. leeperryracing

Go s400 with the 1.10ar t6 then or even the infamous $250 "ebay" gt45 would be perfect for what you described you wanted performance wise.

16. boosted C-10

Alright will go s400.....now just need to sell the 71 c10 anyone want to buy it??

20140410_183657.jpg #ad

20140416_105000.jpg #ad