1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BMW 4.4 Rear Mount Turbo sizing question.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TexasBMWGuy, Dec 3, 2014.

1. TexasBMWGuy

Hello all, My name is Wendell, I live in Texas and I have a 2000 BMW 540 6sp wagon that I am putting a rear mount turbo on.

My question is this, I am only planning on running 8-12 lbs of boost and would to know what the best turbo would be for this setup.

It currently has a single 3" exhaust feeding the turbo and 2.5" charge piping through the intercooler to the throttle body.

The car is mainly a street car, I don't really have plans to track it, other than the occasional drag and trip to Mexico.

Those with rear mount experience, what would work best for my application?

Thanks,
    Wendell

2. TexasBMWGuy

It's currently equipped with a t4 58mm .70 ar turbonetics turbo.

3. M&M Turbochargers

looking for more hp ?? how does it spool now??

4. TexasBMWGuy

I would like to have between 400-450 whp. Stock it had 243whp and 247wtq on a Mustang dyno.
    I have a video of it being driven with a t61( I think, Chinese turbo is Chinese and has zero markings on it) and in 3rd gear it started spooling around 2k rpms. http://youtube.com/?#/watch?v=QVsc3sJVh-k

5. Disney Lincoln

Why do you want to change turbos? That turbo can probably make the boost you want. Does it have an internal or external gate?

6. TexasBMWGuy

External wastegate.
    You can get more horsies at the same boost lvl using a larger turbo.

7. JP.

First post you say you want to run a rear mount turbo, normally you go smaller with that as there will be more lag.

Why do you think a bigger turbo with the same boost will create more bhp ?? imo it only counts at the point where your present turbo will run out of its efficiency range. Adding some water methanol spray will sort that ( getting you IAT back to decent levels ).