1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

blowthrough 6.0 LS, S480

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by 3pedals, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 3pedals

I had my 6.0LS on the engine dyno on good friday, :
    05 shortblock, 160km's, untouched
    09 L92 heads, lapped valves, 155/405 springs
    LS9 head gaskets
    chinese studs
    comp 227/235 @ .050" 114+4 cam
    vic jr intake, w/ CSU750 carb
    truck manifolds w/ v-bands
    2.5" divided hotside
    Forced induction S480, w 92mm 1.1 A/R
    c-16 fuel
    water-meth coming in at 4 psi
    17* timing under boost
    EGT sensor in collector of pass side manifold
    super fat tune and low timing.
    I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about the tune and how to reduce the EGT's or if I should even care about them? AIT is actually IAT lol

View attachment 652247
    5A419DD9-52F9-4C32-842A-C9F44FD2A8F4-235-000000D8C8AEA680_zpsd915b420.jpg #ad

C4A2D476-972A-4E9B-B4F6-89BF27579420-235-000000D8BB5518E0_zps75bae3b0.jpg #ad

5A419DD9-52F9-4C32-842A-C9F44FD2A8F4-235-000000D8C8AEA680_zpsd915b420.jpg #ad

C4A2D476-972A-4E9B-B4F6-89BF27579420-235-000000D8BB5518E0_zps75bae3b0.jpg #ad

9ad56d86-7b83-4bbd-b717-8e373ba48bfe_zps8ad40371.jpg #ad

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Jim Crawford likes this.
  2. TDmkr496

Can you put an intercooler on it?

3. motoadam

The engine would be an animal.

4. blown385

Any video ?

5. 3pedals

my freind made 1 of the last dyno pull. It was cold the day we dyno'd it, and the fog you see is from cold outside air being drawn into the room over the hot dyno water tank
    [video=youtube;8MD77vbJUcQ][/video]

6. blown385

Nice . What BOV ? Seems like a lot of pressure gets back to the turbo . Probably just the short run . Did you have a chance to try more timing ?

7. 3pedals

BOV is a turbosmart race unit, I think 52mm.
    I was very hesitant to try more timing, this is the first forced induction engine I have ever had, and my dyno operator while Very experienced with N/a engines, has not had a turbo on his engine dyno untill mine.
    I stopped at 17* as that is where most EFI LS turbo setups seem to be at, and I havent seen any other blowthrough carb'd ls's. the plugs looked WAY fat,(they should at the A/F's indicated) and there was only about 1/16" of plating burnt off the tip of the ground strap. there was heat discoloration on the plug's threads down 1 thread.
    -If this was an N/A engine I would have leaned it out into the mid 12's, then started adding timing till the plating was burn off the ground strap to about the bend.
    I'm not entirely sure how much to lean this thing out, but I'm thinking I should be at least high 11's????
    And as far as timing? since this is a junkyard stock bottom end, I dont want to push the timing too much at all, but I can say for reference, that this exact engine combo N/A liked 32*, does that help understand where it should end up with boost?

8. blown385

C-16 is very good fuel . I would just wait til its at the track and experiment with timing . My sbc seems to like 12:1 afrs on C-16 .

9. 3pedals

Ya, thats my plan, play with it at the track.
    I "think" its in a safe state of tune right now, so I should be able to run it and get the car sorted out on lower boost, before messing with 16psi, lol
    thanks

10. 3pedals

I can, but I dont want to unless the temps are uncontrollable. I'd rather put bigger water/meth nozzles in. the IAT sensor is actually an EGT probe, and it is positioned so where it only see's the pre-compressor nozzle. there are 2 more nozzles just down stream of the probe. I'm sure my IAT's are lower than the indicated 230ish*
    This tuneup will only ever be run with c-16 at the drag strip. I will run on the 7psi wastegate spring on the street, with 93 octane and the same water/meth nozzles coming in at 4psi

11. Forcefed86

Congrats! Thats some serious power!

1800* EGT's! Thats nutty. I wouldn't be comfortable running that. I try not to go over 1600-1650. How much water/meth you spraying now? Whatever it is, I'd try ALOT more. Leaning it out should make it run cooler as well. Adding timing should lower EGT's. Most of the LS turbo guys I've read about don't use c16 fuel and water/meth on top. I'd add a degree and see if the EGT's drop any, also try dropping it an additional degree and see if the EGTS change. What heat range plug did you run?

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  12. 3pedals

Yeah, the 1800* temps have me wondering. Some experienced turbo guys say ignore the egt's for making tuning decisions, just look at them for reference. I wonder if the placement of the egt probe has any effect? It is in the collector of 1 of the manifolds. I talked with a local blowthrough turbo guy and he recommended leaning it out before adding timing, but I agree added timing should reduce EGT's. I am going to try leaner a/f's first as it is VERY rich.
    I have 1 #10 nozzle pre compressor, and 2 #2 nozzles just in front of the carb hat, and I'm running an NGK 8 heat range plug

13. Forcefed86

Probe placement can have a huge effect, thats why most of the tuners I talk to say "you can't go by EGT numbers". They just vary too much. So unless you run the motor to failure while logging EGT's it's hard to know the "do not cross point". I'd spit out a HG at anything over 1750ish on my old setup (assuming no knock etc), so I knew to stay as far from there as I could. I've also read 1" after the exh port will give you the most accurate (hottest) reading and the one you should be concerned with. If your getting 1800* at the collector I think you should address that right away.

IMHO toss 2 #10's post turbo (keep the pre turbo) and run 100% meth. (or at least bump it up to #5's with a 50/50 mix) I ran into ignition troubles when using water in any percentage on the bigger jets. It was a night and day difference on my setup. You have to trim the WOT fuel to get the AFR's in check when using a bunch of meth though.

Ever consider switching to meth? or ethanol? Thats the hot ticket around here for non intercooled blow-thru guys.

The ground strap/threads on the plugs sounds great and where I like to run my high boost stuff (30+psi).

Good luck that things a beast!

14. 3pedals

Can't get e85 here in Manitoba . This is a street car so I want to run a 7psi 91 octanesetup on the street , and the 4 digit tuneup on c-16 at the track

15. 3pedals

I finally got this thing out on the first test drive on the street, 7psi wastegate springs,(aprox 680hp) WOW does it pull like a mutherfucker! It has been raining since, so I havent had a chance to connect the go-pro so I can share the ride with you guys. also learning to program my datalogger so I can work the tuneup further. I will post up a vid or 2 in the next week, and I am hoping to get it to the track on the 15th. My wife is due to give birth to our first child on june 30, so that may slow car stuff down if baby comes sooner than expected, lol

16. thunderroad

Looking forward to the video and hope all will be well with the baby's birth.

17. 3pedals

Thanks

18. spray280

Awesome numbers. Do you have a build thread? I'm anxious to know how your g-force is going to work. I want to use one but already have a nice glide so I might switch later.
    Also congrats on the baby!!!

19. 3pedals

No build thread, this thread has most all the engine combo details. trans is GF5R, I currently have an H pattern shifter on it. I love it, but if you have not dealt with a "crashbox" non syncro trans before, you may not like street driving it.
    I have not had the car at the track yet, was hoping for the 15th, but I am waiting on caltrac split mono springs, my supplier ordered the wring ones and I just found out yesterday, not sure when they will get me the correct ones.
    I also have yet to verify the boost controller works correctly, it is an MSD 7563, and I am concerned with the "sequence of events" needed to activate the timer.... I'll get it figured out

20. Nice Chevelle

Huge props to you and your build! Great power #s bro !
    Is your baby born yet? Enjoy every second with that blessing as time flies and they grow quick.

Looking fwd to your next update .

:)