1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Black Chrome vs Black Nickel

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Snakebite, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Snakebite

Looking to do some engine bay parts in one of these, just looking into experience or opinions of anyone that has used these coatings. Is one more durable or heat resistant than the other. Thanks much!

2. stangman9897

Chrome is nickle, when they chrome plate something first they copper plate it then they put nickle on the copper and the chrome over the nickle , but the nickle is what your looking at because the chrome is clear. The clear chrome just takes the green look out of the nickle and makes it harder.

3. Snakebite

Is that something I should put in a engine bay? On say valve covers/motor plates? Just don`t want it to pit or go to some funky color after a year of heat/chemical exposer.

Thanks for the input

4. stangman9897

Hell most car have a lot of chrome under the hood , it should be fine as long as you don't put it on hot parts like exhaust parts. I have the info on a guy thats supposed to be the best when it comes to black chrome IF i can find it i will post a link for you . Black is a lot harder to do right than regular and he's is known to be the best.;
    Hell Ford sells black chrome valve covers for the 5.4 GT .

5. Snakebite

Thanks again Stangman, I called a few shops to get quotes on getting it done, everyone recommend that I don`t have it done. Said under heat and chemical it may start to look greenish or spots may start appearing. They recommended getting it black anodized since most heat/chemical don`t have the same effects. I didn`t even think about anodizing, but I still like the black chrome look, but rather not remove motor/mid plates to have them recoated every year.

;) Thanks dude

6. BreakDancer

I think anodizing is alot cheaper than black chrome but that may not be an issue for you.

7. Snakebite

Yes, Anodizing is at least half the cost of getting the black chrome done, which since it`s is something so visible in my bay I didn`t mind the excess of expense .

8. stangman9897

They only anodize alum not steel, for steel it's called alodine.