1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

blowing oil filter

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by chameleonstang, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chameleonstang

Im having a poblem where my oil filter keeps coming loose under a full throttle boost pass. I drove the car tonight and when i floored it i lost oil pressure and oil on the road. I checked the filter and it was loose so i replaced it with a new one. Next full throttle pass same thing. Any ideas

2. 79fairmont

What filters? What is the oil pressure wot?

3. livefast1

It actually unthreads? Thats crazy ive never heard of that in my life to happen repeatedly.

4. chameleonstang

its a fram tough guard. I talked to napa today and they said it might have something to do with the high volume oil pump. They told me to try their race filter it flows 28 gallons per minute. Their gold filter only flows 8-9 gallons per minute. They said fram was even worse. I dont know what the exact psi was as I am running a factory guage.

5. livefast1

I wouldnt run a fram on a gas powered shit pump.

6. chameleonstang

ive been hearing that a lot lately. I think this experience might change my mind as well. Hopefully that fixes it.

7. livefast1

Fwiw i run an amsoil filter and have never had any problems.

8. GangBang Malloy

yeah frams are third world grade filters

i use K&N gold with no issues

9. Turbohwagon

Get a filter with a higher burst pressure... I've seen the high volume pumps distort the filter under pressure (Litterally watched a filter balloon while free-reving on a trailer) Either a K&N or a Motorcraft FL1HP (5.0L) will work. It's this distortion thats probably alowing the filter to loosen up.

I've crushed both the Motorcraft FL1HP in a filter crusher, it crushs about half way down while a stock filter gets pancaked LOL.

Oh yeah, fuck fram. :raz:

10. Coupelx

:ras:

11. LowBoostinT76

I would start with a better filter than fram.
    I use a bosch filter, its good quality and lower priced vs other comparable filters based on the research I've seen.

If this is the first filter its done it on I would get a better filter and keep an eye on it.
    If it keeps doing it perhaps there is a problem with the threads on the block end of things, that should have an internal allen on it and is replaceable.
    Might be worth replacing that piece and the filter just to be done with it.

12. vern

I read an independent study on oil filters before synthetic came out on flow and filtering and ac delco won hands down second was mopar and third napa fram was near last .I think maybe your filter is distorting the seat from the threads. An ac filter can hold almost 100 psi before it'll burst

13. 61falconman

Never heard of this problem before, no matter what brand filter. :huh: Cheap enough to try a different brand though. Let us know if that fixes the problem.

14. MONTEGOD7SS

I run Mobil filters cuz I can get em cheap, and they match the Mobil 5000 I run, lol.

15. livefast1

Also with the amsoil filter i run its crushed really uniform versus a fram that when you crush it the sides burst and the filter element looks like the mornin after a bad night at plaza tapatia

16. Disney Lincoln

I'm surprised it blew multiple filters off, even if they were shit pump worthy. I'd closely inspect the threads on your oil pump stub for damage or maybe that it's threading out of the block itself.

17. chameleonstang

i put a wix filter on it yesterday but haven't had a chance to floor it yet. Ill let you know what happens. I was talking to someone and they said that the bypass on my oil pump is probably shot causing too much pressure in the engine? He said it would happen so fast the stock guage wouldn't show it.

18. LowBoostinT76

Wow I didn't realize the filter was coming loose on you so quickly.

19. bgjohnson

rent or buy a mechanical oil pressure gage. If your stuff is pegging 100+ PSI you will start having very bad problems.

I had this problem on my little 93 nissan pickup when I replaced the oil pump. It would blow the filter gasket right out after 3,000rpms. Pump had a stuck valve, I'm super glad it didn't blow the filter up.

20. domn8rx

We had a jeep at work last week that spit the gasket out of the filter and it was the by-pass stuck in the pump. He had two filters split from walmart and walmart sent them to us to fix it.

good luck

john