1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fading Forums

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by tbird, Jan 22, 2021.

1. tbird

I was checking out another forum I would frequent. I found it was a ghost town. Ive been members of some
    others that went to facebook format.

I really hope this forum holds on. Cuz this forum is packed with great info, great rides. Years of it. Learned a lot. Contributed as much as I can.
    Trying to look around and find answers on a facebook based page is a joke. I just dont do it but I see the struggle. I feel tech information in FB format will get as corrupt as all the news in social media and peeps will get led in the wrong direction. I already see it. And the jackasses that talk crap and know everything is not controlled the same as here.

Keep the cool combos and tech comin guys!! It keeps my spirits up for the gear heads.

Pro-SC, vinces427bb, smokedu and 5 others like this.
  2. BlownShovel

Withu man- Not as active but tons of info in here.

3. Russell

I don't understand why anyone would prefer FB over a forum.

MACKAZ, Disney Lincoln and Old 86 like this.
  4. Disney Lincoln

The "current generation" if you'll excuse the term is very much in favor of instant gratification. They can post to FB, sit there and watch thier phone for a ding and they got a reply. Right or wrong, thought out or not, they got a reply. That's what they want. These forums generally require them to do just a little bit of research, which they are morally, ethically, and diametrically opposed to doing. They want it NOW and don't want to work a lick to get it! We see it here on these forums too. Someone will come join. Ask a question that has been answered 20+ times in the last 20 years on this forum. Some "Old timer" or "Boomer" will reply to use the search etc. etc. New user gets pissed off, calls them a boomer and leaves never to be heard from again. I see it on the FB groups too, but it's worse there due to being so difficult to search for the info.
    "Hey bros! I just bought my first OBS Chevy this morning. Now that it's almost noon I want to LS swap it. What do I need?"
    "There is a Files section on this page, all of the information is in there"
    "I mean, can't you just tell me?"
    "No, the info is already there, just go look at it".
    "F*CK YOU BOOMER!!! I'm selling this POS and getting a Scion"! [REPEAT EVERY FREAKIN DAY]

Meepers, vinces427bb, MACKAZ and 4 others like this.
  5. B E N

What you posted is why I try to answer newb questions directly instead of replying with "use the search"... until the OP proves that they have no business trying to do what they are doing and then I lose my temper and they quit posting :(.

I get it though, I have 2 or 3 forums I visit most mornings. I enjoy them, I never touch facebook. Lets keep it alive.

6. 91turboterror

I guess some people have the attention span of a goldfish are the ones that want answers yesterday are the ones that run to Facebook instead of a real forum. Then you get a know it all keyboard cowboy on Facebook with bad advice that steers someone in the wrong direction and they give up on turbos altogether. Screw Facebook and Screw you Mark Zuckerberg you Commie Bastard .

7. Russell

I have spent hours reading old build threads. I still have not found one that I think is exactly like what I want to do. It would be cool if there was a build thread index with links.

8. B E N

Make it your own! Lots of stuff to mix and match, plus the hive mind.

The minds and responsiveness of the forum are what make it great. Many excellent troubleshooters, experienced wrenches and dirty little oil stained fingers toiling away at their keyboards.

9. Joel_400

I agree about the facebook crap...I'm still anti facebook myself. Don't have or want it! Im 40 myself and work with some guys in there 20s...totally different breeds! One guy asks what do you have to do to put a turbo on? You explain what was done and get I would put fuel injection on it. I tell them then you at least double the cost of what I have in my project. Yes it can be better...if you want to spend the money. Then there's the other guy who asks about it and says he'd rather have his windows tinted then do all that work! To each his own but I understand what's happening. It sometimes worries me.

10. Russell

I have face book I don't use it much. I have messed the algorithm so I don't see what my family and friends post just car stuff. I turned forty last fall as well. I will have to agree about the EFI. I don't care to ever own another carb.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  11. Mnlx

There's some good info on fb if you can tolerate the idiots. I'm part of an Atlas, and a couple Duramax groups and they're pretty good.

64nailhead likes this.
  12. alain

I used to be on Facebook, but haven't been since 2017. I don't miss it at all. I have noticed forums have slowed down alot since the rise of social media. What pisses me off most is that some vendors don;'t even have an own webpage anymore. They just have a Facebook page that they refer you to. They're not getting any of my business now, because I don't go there.

vinces427bb and Disney Lincoln like this.
  13. jaquetapus

I just shut my facebook off last week and found my way back
    here, I didn't realize how much I missed this place. Forums are the best place to see builds happen, but they're usually cancer on mobile. :'(

14. B E N

This one seems to work fine in me phone.

Russell likes this.
  15. jaquetapus

For some reason when I try and reply, it occasionally
    ddodoedoes
    cccrazy formatting things like this that I have to go back
    aaand edit.

16. Billy L

I agree, this forum has taught me more than any other forum or Facebook group.. so much good info here. I've been gone for awhile, but I'm building another project. So I'll definitely be reading here again. Good to see all you guys are still around.

17. flyinhillbilly

When I first found this forum I spent days reading build thread after build thread and making mental notes.
    When I built my first turbo ride it worked the first time.
    This place is a wealth of information, and I could’ve never done the things I did without it. I don’t post a whole lot anymore, but I’m still hanging around and enjoying watching others builds.

18. 64nailhead

Agree on the fact that some forums are fading. FB has a couple of advantagous properties - quick responses - but you need to weed out and guarded of the response due to the amount the crap. A similar mentalityapplies to a forum, keep track of who the guy is on the other end that's responding. I firmly believe though that the forums that are best are those filled with knowledgable members that aren't primodonnas. I started on this forum after stumbling across the Grenade 355 build - after reading that entire thread one sleepless night, I was hooked.

There a bunch of members here that are EXTREMELYT knowledgable and willing to share. IMO if you like a forum, such as this one, then contribute, help new members and weed out the belittling and/or bullying - lastly no politics only because it becomes so so divisive everytime in every discussion at an exponential rate of speed.

19. 87turbonotch

Hi BlownShovel,

I had you machine/build a blow through carb for me back in April of 2007. It's been sitting in a closet still bubble wrapped since then and is finally going to get used this spring. I just picked up a MSD 6530 to help with the timing.

Billy L and Disney Lincoln like this.
  20. vht

I go on FB to look at Market Place and I have several groups that sell stuff and you find a deal every now and then. I like the forums to relax, look for info and read build threads. I'll ask for tech advice even if I know what to do on a lot of things just because there is so many people on here that have been there and done that and you come out with a whole new look on things. Asking on here first can save you money or you can go a head and pay for something 3 times before you get it right.

tbird, TTF/Ken and flyinhillbilly like this.