1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dropped the car off at SDCE.

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by ackstang, May 18, 2009.

1. ackstang

Well, I just dropped my mustang off at SDCE for tuning. It isn't sched. till the end of the month but maybe Scott will have some time while he waits for parts for other cars. If not, oh well....story of my life. Scott seams like a pretty cool guy, def knows his stuff and a perfectionist. I'm not expecting high numbers like I was hoping for 600rwhp, based on what he told me about my combo I think it will be much less. I will really don't get to the track much, even though I built the car for it. I just want something that I can take out on a nice day and have fun with. Hopefully, thats what I'll get back. I just hope it doesn't break the bank....like everything else already has for this f"ing car.

2. Blown440sst

You will be very happy with Scott's work. He will tell you just like it is. No sugar coating. AND.......he is a perfectionist. Gordon

3. furchaser

4. ackstang

^ I have read that entire post from start to finish when it first started. I think if you sit down with scott in person and let him unleash his brain on you, that post won't matter. We'll just have to see how it works out. Not looking for anything crazy, just something fun that runs well.

5. jpicc

Good luck with that......

6. blown385

ackstang ,

If Gordon says you will be happy , then believe it . :2thumbs:

Are you going to be using " the hat " ?

7. ackstang

^ I have the EV hat on it right now and would like to keep it. Honestly I think the SDCE hat is horrible looking, but then again its not always about how it looks. I have my hat clocked to the 9 oclock possision and Scott already showed his disaproval but it would take major modification to the blower's outlet to change that. I can't really afford that now. My absolute max budget for this is $1700 but would like to come un WAY under that....Who knows, maybe i'll end up with the hat anyway. If it works better, then it works better. We'll just have to see.

8. blown385

Cool .

Stick with the EV .

Best hat on the market , in most peoples opinion .

9. ackstang

Just a littel update for you guys. I picked the car up last Saterday and drove it straight back to the boat in Hyannis, a 90 mile drive. To date that is the longest non stop run its been on scince I got it running after the build up. The car ran PERFECT....and actually used less fuel than the Cadi CTS I rented (splerged) to get to the shop! Scott put in a lot of time on my rig as I knew he would need to. I have the dyno sheets and will post then up when I have time. It might be a while, I just moved into a new house...last night and we got a new puppy a week ago too.

Scott ended up puting a second belt tensioner on the Novi 2K brackets that netted an increase of 3psi with the stock pulleys. (8 to 11). He also had to move the radiator a bit as there were clearance issues with the fans and the SC belt. As a result of the ford crappy sportsman block he didn't want to push a ton of power or RPM to it. It made 560-ish to the rears with pump gas on a nice safe everyday tune. Also, the power has yet to drop off...even one point so there is plenty left in it still. TQ was also really strong and only dropped off one point from what I can remember. Again, I'll post up all the info.

Oh, and just to start some shit....his hat made another 23ish HP over the EV hat. I might make the switch when he has some available. All in all I couldn't be happier, I have absolutely found my new tuner.

10. blown385

Was that with just the hat change ?

Were the AFRs the same with both hats or did you have to make a carb adjustment ?

Great job ! :2thumbs:

11. ackstang

Scott said that the AF went richer with the SD hat. No changes were made I believe between the two. It was actuallly the smaller of the two hats also. Very siked, drove it home with no issues but still haven't gotten it into boost. Now that I think of it I haven't driven it since I got it home. My dad took it out for a spin a few days ago but that was about it. Its so funny, total role reversal. He calls me to barrow my car....flip flop from 10 years past.

12. 6D9

Great new man! What kind of comp ratio?? Intercooled?? Water meth??

13. ackstang

8.6 to 1 pistons with a 20cc dish (SRP), not intercooler but running a snow stage 2 meth kit. Scott said the progressive controlers on these kits are crap and had all sorts of issues getting to actually come on at the right boost level.

14. 6D9

Good deal...what kind of controler does he like?? Is it much different than the AIS controler??

15. Stroked-Z

Right......23 HP is pretty easy to get with a bit of tuning, especially on forced induction cars.

You're just happy about the free tupperware kit + utensils arent you :D

16. blown385

Thats why I was asking about AFRs . He said it was a little richer with the SDCE hat .

It might have gained the HP from just adding fuel .

Did you try the EV hat and tune to the same AFRs ?

17. furchaser

x2 :corn:

18. ackstang

You guys kill me.... :D

19. Stroked-Z

No but SDCE might....watch out for shrapnel if it backfires !!!!

20. wgsr-1

:drama: