1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Blow Through Propane Setup

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by longbed67, Mar 13, 2012.

1. longbed67

I am looking at converting over to a blow through Propane setup no more than 9-10 lbs of boost Has anyone done this??? Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions?

2. Canadas lowest

Depends on what size your engine is and what hp you plan to make with it. I had a blow thru 302 Fairmont with a impco 425 mixer and a impco model e converter, it worked pretty good at 15lbs. Check out this forum, http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.com/viewforum.php?f=5 lots of good propane info there.

3. longbed67

Chevy 250 L6 and looking to make somewhere around 400hp. I was actually looking at the 425 and model E but wasnt sure on the details on how to do it.

4. Agent86

5. turbo66

Put on the 425, the model E, add a reference line from the 425 to the E. Drive :)
    Be carefull, the lockoffs are the biggest restriction followed by the excess flow valve in the tank (in Australia at least).
    Beauty of Propane is the flamability limits, will work great lean, will detonate if too rich!
    Other thing to watch with impco gear is, make sure your ign is tip top, if you have a decent backfire you will break the 425.

6. longbed67

Thanks! I think I am going to run this on a test engine before I convert my main engine over... A little trial and hopefully not error. Sounds a bit like working on a diesel runs ok lean but BOOM if your too rich.

7. jim

I was thinking about switching to propane the only problem is you can only get about 400hp out of a 425.If you are making more you would have to add another setup.If you want to make 900 hp you would have to run 3 whole kits.Also the tanks can only flow so much.Found a guy with a big block he ran 4 regulaters 4 impco 425s and two tanks.It can get pricey.But they work great with boost.I live in pa to fill a grill tank it is only $9.99 cheep ras gas.