1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Blow Through Eldebrock and E85

Discussion in 'General Carb Tech' started by Ric812, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Ric812

Does anyone have any experience with running E85 through an Eldebrock carb. I am currently building a short (400) rod 383 SBC with a HX35 turbo and want to run E85 and I already have a 750 CFM Eldebrock i will be converting to blow through. I have searched the forum and on google and can not find any real information on Eldebrock carbs and E85 , either boosted or N/A.

2. TurboSnake281

I have no experience doing that but you should buy an aem wide band o2 sensor with gauge when you start tuning and deciding jet sizes. Good luck.

3. B E N

If your carb isn't already setup for E85 you might have a tough time with it. E85 uses a whole different set of jets, depending on what jet you already have in it you may or may not be able to get large enough orifices. You need 35-40% more fuel, so look at what jets/rods you have in it for gas, figure out what you need for 40% more cross sectional area. If you can get jets that large you are on the right track. You are also going to have to mess with booster and emulsion. If it is a single needle/seat unit you might have trouble getting enough fuel into it. You will probably need a larger (marine maybe) accelerator pump body.

The bigger problem is getting it to idle rich enough, machining is required to drill the passages the correct size, then once its drilled you have to get it to seal, the castings can be pretty porous.

It's easier with a Holley, but if you had to buy a different carb you may as well get one setup for E to begin with.

4. 58F600

This is a bad idea IMO. I build and tune tons of carbs and have worked with manufacturers on this kind of thing. You'll never get it right with the Edelbrock as you simply don't have any adjustability in them.

On a Holley style carb the main well size is changed from .110" to .170", the emulsion package is changed due to the different viscosity of E85 vs gas and the booster stalk and discharge are changed as well. None of that is available for the edelbrocks. I even called the factory that makes them fit Edelbrock, no luck. You would be miles ahead buying a E85 carb and starting from there. Be glad you can buy them ready to go!

tbird likes this.
  5. jbliss15

I don't think it's very easy to make that style of carb blow through.

You should buy a carb made for blow through unless you know what you're doing modifying a double pumper