1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Biofuels worse for global warming than gas...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by racesloth, Apr 21, 2014.

1. racesloth

I read this, and even though it is a gov sponsored study - those with big interests are already attacking it. Also noticed that while supposed subsidies for biofuels have stopped the story talks about the sought after $1 per gallon subsidy (your tax dollars) by the big players who make this expensive fuel and still be profitable. The article, of course, leaves many questions unanswered that a reasonable critical thinker would ask. Let the free market bring the fuels to market when they are competitive.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-04-21-04-02-59

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Yeah, there have been several studies backing up that biofuels, at least those commonly used, cause more harm than good. That's not even factoring the energy inputs!

People making their own diesel fuel from waste vegetable oil is an exception, but the amount of fuel which can be provided via this means are a drop in the bucket, and only viable for individuals, not mass production.

3. Drac0nic

I think that we don't actually put enough stock into what we do. If we took a significant amount of our "compostable" materials and actually made them into biofuel, it would likely be another story entirely. One of the guys on here was talking about how he made his ethanol for his car was he would just go to the grocery store, ask em for the fruit they were throwing out and produce fuel from that. After he was done, he took the byproduct to a farm and they used it as animal feed. Overall that makes it super environmentally friendly. Less landfill use and less feed stock required for animals.

This is also a technology that's cyclical and actually somewhat young in ways. Even compared to the last time gasahol hit in the 70s, it's come a ways. Just like the battery technology in hybrids is still not the best it could be, we're going to see the same thing here. It's a matter of figuring out application and using what we toss out, instead of growing stuff to make into fuel.

I'm also sort of leery of these studies. Just as the ethanol industry can bias research one way, who's to say Mobil/Citgo/Shell/BP/whoever else isn't doing the same thing in the opposing direction? It'd be pretty awesome for them to be able to kill something like E10. Imagine them being able to pump 10% more oil. They'd like that I'm sure.

4. racesloth

This was a govt funded study....

5. thunderroad

I was reading this and having flashbacks to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, making pig waste into fuel. Bet that smells wonderful coming out the exhaust and processing it. Just my warped mind.

6. racesloth

The pig shit fuel isn't than bad... You just have the boost to a level where it "burns" the stank out...

7. thunderroad

Well now I'll have an excuse why my car runs like shit!