1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Billet Wheel or Cast

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MUSTLX50, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MUSTLX50

I have a 106mm that I'm currently installing on my car now and was wondering the advantages over a cast wheel. I have heard that switching to the Billet piece will help in spool up and generally power thru out the power range compared to a cast wheel. Has anyone done dyno comparisons on a car with any results? Would like to know before dishing out the 1200 Prcision wants for their CEA wheel and would like to know if it is worth it. The car sees little track time and I use it more on the street than the track, any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Forcefed86

That rumor does seem to be making turbo companies some coin. If all dimensions are the same, there is no real performance advantage to billet. Billet is stronger and was designed to be used in high mileage applications. Cast wheels after a million hours at 80k+ rpm had a tendency to explode from fatigue. Billet wheels were used to help extend this time. It is heavier than cast and in some tests has proven to reduce performance. Not worth the extra coin from what i've read.

Just make sure your getting the same wheel specs on the cast unit as the billet unit.

3. blown385

Call Jose at Forced Inductions !

4. blown385

Not sure if you would see the same results with the Precision billet , but the Billet BW stuff from Jose has been proven . But Jose would be able to tell you about the Precision stuff as well ..

5. MUSTLX50

Thanks guys will call Jose and ask. Precision want 1200 for the upgrade because the say they have to change the housin also for the billet wheel. That makes me think that the wheel might actually be a larger diameter than the cast unit.

6. blown385

$ 1200 is alot of money for something that sees little track time . What size motor ?

7. MUSTLX50

375 ci. a friend of mine already went 7.90's with this turbo on his 3300lb. car so I'm just going to leave it as is, like you said it's alot on money for a car that is not going to be used at the track all that much.

8. blown385

If its a street car , then those numbers shouldnt mean anything to you . You cant use the HP that turbo can make on the street . And its got to be slow spooling unless its banging off the 2-step . If it was me , I would be looking for something more streetable . Just my thoughts .

9. MUSTLX50

I know what you are saying, but I had a GT55/94 before and had no problem spooling that monster. I got a great deal on this one and I figure that if I can drive the car on the street with this turbo and go to the track and put up a 7 second run makes all worth it. I don't race the car on the street, so not really worried about some lag. As for being a street car, it is just a weekend car and cruise to the local hangouts. But it is inpressive when you have a car that runs that fast and then shows up to the local hangout without a trailer, lol. I got my answer from Forcefed86, and that is really what I was looking for, thanks for the input anyway. How is the truck doing, any updates on it? Hope to see you some time on one of the tracks, maybe Bradenton, come by and introduce yourself, take care bud.

10. blown385

Looking at 3 to 4 weeks for pistons . After getting the wrong radial width on the rings , the walls were pretty messed up . Had to go 4.033 on the bore and none of the pistons could be used .

Bradenton is kinda far unless it's just to bring the truck and watch . But Orlando is a whole different animal now. Maybe you can bring the car over sometime .world street nats should be back this year . I think just after thd bradenton race in october .l.

11. MUSTLX50

I had heard bad things about Orlando, did they finally put some money into the track? That should be interesting, Ill try and make it out there. Keep me posted on the track, I wouldn't mind going up there, it's the same trip for me as Bradenton. See you around bud, I have thread over on the builds section, haven't had time to do much, but I'm starting to catch up now, should be ready by then.

12. PrecisionTurboMustang

Forcefed, it was my understanding that there were things that could be machined into a billet wheel that could not be done with conventional cast. They have been proven to also to make more power at higher pressure levels. I don't really understand why you keep dogging billet stuff other that what you were told by borg warner who was never really in the performance industry to begin with.

Not trying to say you are wrong I just don't understand.

13. Forcefed86

No problem. I'm just on the opposite side of the fence I guess. I don't understand why when the manufacturer of the product tells people point blank that a billet wheel is no better than a cast wheel (performance wise) that people continue to think otherwise. Garrett released the exact same information. Performance Diesel guys and many others have done back to back testing and proven it many times. Where is the proof that billet makes more power at higher pressure levels? I've never seen any. Not when comparing two like profile wheels anyway.

It's the aftermarket companies that are raping people with these "magic" billet wheels. Yes, there "billet 80" turbo made more power than the "Cast 80". But... its a totally different profile blade! Instead, they could make a cast wheel the same profile that billet wheel was made from and then charge a reasonable price. Instead they make them out of shiny billet and tack on a 200%+ markup. Hell, I'd do the same if I was making a living selling turbos.

I've yet to see some advanced super thin bladed/crazy profiled compressor that couldn't be cast. (batmowheel maybe?) I'm not saying these don't exist, but none of the big billet units I see are using them.

14. PrecisionTurboMustang

Look up pt6262 billet on the evo sites. They have cracked 800whp with them... I have never seen anything else close on similar sized turbo but I haven't looked that hard either.

15. blown385

Cut and past : Older news but .....

At this time I am pleased to announce that Ozzy Moya owner of DCM Motorsports have acquired the assets of Orlando Speedworld Dragway. Many thanks go to Carl Weisinger for his efforts in finalizing the deal and the Hart family for all their energies in the negotiations. There was little give and take on both sides and it was a lot of work and I cannot express enough in thanks to Carl and the Hart family for helping bring the deal to a close. With the acquisition of the Circle Track and our partnership with NASCAR and now with the drag strip, we look forward to making it one of the premier racing complexes in the country.

We plan on bringing the same kind of energy and enthusiasm to the circle track and drag strip in Orlando that we have used at Lakeland, to make it the best it can be. I can assure that racing at both facilities will continue for at least the next 20 years

Also he has aquired Wade rich as track manager ( ledendary track prep ). Track is already repaved and the concrete pad will also be new soon .

Ozzy is trying to make Orlando one of the best in the country ............. again .

http://www.dragzine.com/news/the-legendary-orlando-world-street-nationals-returns/

16. blown385

Depends on the turbo . Did you read what I posted earlier.

17. blown385

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitrousking [​IMG]#ad

billet wheel=1289rwhp @ 29psi

cast wheel=1040rwhp @ 23-24psi

who would have thought the turbo making 5-6 psi less would have made less power........oh yeah great comparison[​IMG]#ad

quote : Jose @ Forced Induction :

Gate is pinned shut for both wheels......cast was done at lower boost range....billet went past the pressure the cast stalled at.

18. 1hcam

Orlando has been a totally different track lately. They actually prep the track now and the track hooks. It's great! Heading out there tomorrow. I'm so glad Ozzy has it and thankful for the work they've put into it.

19. blown385

Cant ask for better weather !

20. Forcefed86

Being billet has nothing to do with the power they are making. Nor anywhere is there back to back comparisons of a 62/62 in cast vs billet of the same dimensions. From what I've seen/read the billet unit would make no more power. Going by peak dyno numbers isn't a very good comparison since they all vary so much. The 60mm hx40's have been pushing full weight DSM's into the 150mph range these days. Going with the HP to weight calculators that puts them over 750whp. And thats a 60mm cast wheel. One of the racers "TalonDave" actually replaced his stock cast 60mm hx40 compressor with the new batmowheel 60mm. He gained some boost in the lower rpms, but actually lost a few lb a min up top. "Not worth the money" were his words as well.

They seem to be comparing apples and oranges to me? The "billet 80" unit has a larger inducer and a "race cover". The companies make it sound like they are both the same 80mm wheel. The way they advertise and that the billet construction is where all this magic power comes from. I'm just saying thats not the case from what I've read.