1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone here boosting w/ a factory EEC-IV

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by boosted93, Aug 11, 2006.

1. boosted93

I have just about got all the parts to begin assembly of my T-70 build up on my 93 LX. I've already spent a good part of my budget on machine work, Alum. heads cam and all of the turbo related parts. I know someone out there has done it, but I'm just wondering how hard it's gonna be to get this beast to run off of the factory ECU. I'm trying to avoid purchasing one of the expensive units such AEM, FAST etc. HP is targeted only around 400-500 and I don't really plan on going any higher than that , so I'm hoping to get this thing running with just a little SCT tuning or maybe a piggyback. Any suggestions or pro's/ con's of piggyback would be very helpful. thanx in advance :2thumbs:

2. Roar

My twin turbo'ed '68 with a 306 and factory 5.0 HO injection ran quite well off a stock A9L computer.
    With a good recalibrated MAF and adjustable FP you can make it OK, but not perfect (mostly at idle and low rpm)

3. Bobby

Mine still has the EEC-IV with Powertrain Dynamics chip.

4. turbofreek

factory setup here. runs fine minus the lean spot under boost :bang: waiting on maf meter to put in 42lb injectors. should be fine i think? it runs good now with 24's but 42s will keep it richer at wot

5. boosted93

OK, Well here are the parts I have gathered so far. I'm using a stock 302 block with stock forged internals and a stud girdle, Alum. GT-40X heads W/1:6 rollers, Trick flow upper/lower with a kirban adjustable reg. and a C&L 76 caled for 42lb. squirters. I have a 255lph intank pump to feed it. And of course as mentioned above a super T-70 with a 50mm W/G and 50mm BOV. I found a super nice intercooler from Vecco performance. It's the one they provide with their stage 2 kit. They had a couple for sale on E-bay. Anyway, I've heard that the C&L will work in a blow through set up as long as there is at least 1ft. of straight pipe before it as to avoid any turbulent air caused from curves or sharp bends. Does that sound right to you? Also wondering if I'll need to use a FMU such as the ones that vortec provides with they're S/C kits?? Once I get a little further on my hot side parts where I can start mocking it all up I'll definately get some pic's on here to share :chacha:

6. DonL

Both our turbo vehicles are EEC IV and we have tuned a LOT of EEC IV turbo cars with no problems if the fuel system/MAF are up to the task.

7. boosted93

Thanx for the feedback guys, I feel more confident that this wiil work now. Do you think the C&L 76mm will work blow through even though it's meant to be used naturally aspirated. I've heard of this being done before, but never attempted it myself. I almost had my hands on a nice 80mm pro-m univer that was specifically for blow through cars, but I got out bid at the last min. :bang: I've done a little research and found that most turbo kits come with a 255 pump which is what I have, so should be ok there. I also need to find a place to get an oil feed line long enough to reach to the pass. side behind the headlight, plus I'm not sure where I need to tap the engine for the feed. I assume right at or near the oil filter, not sure though Thanx again. If anyone has any more info that might be usefull for a first time builder, keep it coming :2thumbs:

8. stangbj21

I have a stock A9P computer(same as 5-speed computer but for a auto). pmas air meter(blow through) with turbo cal., 42#injectors and adj. pressure reg. Bone stock motor minus trickflow intake and 65mm t-body. Still playing around with the tune but 19# of boost, 25" locked timing and water meth have been 6.99 @100 with a 1.76 sixty foot(spinning) so I know there is a little left.

By the way this is being done on a SSautochrome t-70 turbo. Still alive after alot of abuse.

Before the turbo I had a S-trim vortech with a pro-m pull through meter and no water meth. I ran a best of [email protected]. I know the stock computer and take you a long way but I know there is more with a chip or aftermarket tuner.

9. boosted93

Ok, so again, do you think I'll be able to blow through using a N/A meter. You mentioned above using one W/ a blower, but didn't actually specify if you were blowing through or drawing through the meter :scratch:

10. stangbj21

Before I bought the pmas blow through meter I bought a C&L 80mm pull through meter. I also to heard of people using them for blow through. I installed mine for blow through and my car would have a rolling idle then never want to stay running. That meter was on my car for a day(its for sale too). I ordered a pmas blow through turbo meter the next day and when I put it on I was amazed. I have had several meters before but this meter by far has the best idle to it. I really like the pmas blow through turbo meter.

Maybe other people are having luck with the C&L but I had alot of headaches with it. Of course what works for me may not work for you and the other way around.

11. boosted93

what is a PMAS air meter?? Never heard of one before, guess I'm slipping a little behind in the tuner world. where can I get my hands on one?? If thats what it's gonna take to get my car to run right, then thats what I want. Thank for your help by the way, I've only been getting bits and peices of info from different people, but every little bit helps you know... :2thumbs:

12. stangbj21

PMAS meter stands for Pro Mass Air Systems. They are what is left of pro-m when they went out of business. Some of the old employees started it. You can get them from alot of different places but the cheapest and nicest guy I found that has them is jdsperformnace.com The meter I got it made for a blow through turbo fox body. They have all different brands. You will have to order by application which may take a few weeks but I was lucky and he had one in stock. Hope this helps.

13. turbofreek

yep i ordered mine the beginning of last week should be here tomorrow. 80mm draw through with filter was 315 shipped calibrated for my car. purchased through cool blue performance. if you get the sc tune becarful cuz after the fact tuners will have a hard time tuning around it or wont tune with it :2thumbs:

14. Mac93

What would be the difference between the PRO-M 80mm and the blow through alum. Pro tube?

15. sickboy

this comes from a supercharger guy, but I know we have better luck using a draw through as opposed to a blow through (like on a Procharger) my buddys Procharger car with a blow through was always having idle a low speed trouble. Mine using a drawthrough with A9L and 55Lbs'ers ran fine without a piggyback or chip. But if you have to run a blow through ask P.Mussin, I think he ran a 75mmBullet with a stock EEC

16. boosted93