1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Single to twin conversion

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Trond, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Trond

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I was seaching the ever so wast internet for some pointers on how to do a single to dual turbo conversion, and I landed here.

The reason is that I do not have the space required for the turbo in front of the engine as it is originally placed, but I think I can fit two smaller onse on each side. It seems to be much more common to go the other way around, from 2 to one.

Is there any way one goes about to calculate this? Does one lose alot of low end torque?

2. 91turboterror

Welcome to the forum. What kind of car are we talking about here? What engine?
    A little more information would help us help you. If properly sized turbos are used you can make some gains. The way to calculate this is by using turbo maps

3. Trond

Engine code LP9 or opel code z28net. The engine is from a Insignia OPC, 335hp 2.8 liter v6, and it's going into a Kadett (chevette). So space is tight. I have not found any specs on the stock turbo.

Not sure if I want any more hp, I would hate to lose the low end power.

I was looking at turbo calcs on garrets site and I did understand very little.

4. 91turboterror

There were people who put Cadillac 500 v8s in chevettes so you should have space you might have to get a little creative though.

5. Trond

That sounds insane! There is a limit to the creativity I can explore, since I'm trying to get this official, I can not do too much with the chassi.

6. 91turboterror

Not too familiar with that engine but if you have forward facing headers or flipped manifolds you can chop the flanges off install v bands and add a short section of pipe add t3 flanges on the other side assuming that's what turbos your gonna run t your oil supply line since you'd be running 2 turbos instead of one and add -10 or -12 oil drains from the turbos to the engine. Your gonna have to make sure you have enough room for downpipes to each turbo