1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Locking out timing question.......

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mtrain, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mtrain

First build is supercharged 540FE Ford carbureted with a Procharger F1R running at max 14 psi with 9.3c/r.

Second build is a carbureted 363w that is twin t-4's {51mm} that will see 20 psi. at an 8.5:1 c/r

My question is does both of these need the timing locked out? Also I've already got the MSD dizzy on the 363 locked, and I'm going to set initial timing at 16 deg. On a locked out dizzy is the initial timing the same as total timing, since your not using the balance weights any more?

2. BlownShovel

Locked timing = total timing
    unless you are running an ignition box that has programmable timing curves.

3. mtrain

Got it, thanks.

Also, since i haven't yet installed the dizzy, can I just move the balancer to the 16 deg timing mark then install the dizzy right on the number one plug?

4. BlownShovel

You can do that to get it started but you'll need to put a timing light on it to set the timing. Depending on the ignition you may need to pull the spout out to adjust initial timing.

5. mtrain

Thanks, its carbureted so I won't have to worry about the spout. However, I will make final adjustments with the light.

6. 65stang

x2