1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Big time flooding....

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by 55thunder, Jun 16, 2008.

1. 55thunder

Car has been more drivable than my 06 F-350, now all of a sudden my A/f at idle , cruise and wide open have dropped more than a full point, cut it off to pump gas and it totally floods out, killin the plugs... Have changed nothing on the car for months....

2. Robert1320

Check the needles & bowls for dirt.

3. 55thunder

I'll check those today... thanks...

4. jim wingo

with these big pumps and large n/s's, it only takes seconds to hyd lock the motor when dirt gets in them-i did that a couple times, set the car on fire first time, forgot to kill the ign when i pulled the plugs and spun it over, could have been a disaster
    i actually had it running one time, and raw fuel was running out the exhaust, dripping on the ground-that would have been a hell of an explosion-one reason i like the glass peep hole in the fuel bowls

5. Pontiac4ever

Yeah, no $hit......with the hat on you can't tell if the carb is overflowing fuel into the motor. Sometimes I wish Gordon made a clear hat so you can see in the carb.

I'd check your power valve(s) make sure they're not ruptured as well as the needle/seats. Take the hat off and turn the fuel pump on and see whats happening, if anything.

Craig

6. PEARL MUSSIN

I always start my car with the hat off if I have messed with the carb. That damn Magnafuel 500 can really pump the fuel... Last time I made some jet changes the rear bowl must have stuck because fuel was shooting out of the rear vent like a faucet :bang: I pulled the plugs and coil off and cranked it over, you should have seen the fuel blowing out of the spark plug holes... I would also look at the n&s.. Mine have a tendency to do it easier if the bowls are empty.

Jeremy

7. Bowtie Guy

Any luck there 55thunder? Sounds like a piece of dirt in the needle and seat to me, or a plugged return line. Just a thought. Good Luck :2thumbs:

Bowtie Guy

8. 55thunder

needle and seat in rear bowl had the smallest of imperfections right where the needle seats... had one over nighted from Carb shop and it appears to be fixed, in the middle of my test run a state trooper appeared, so I whipped into a gas station and played opossum... hehehe

setting the rear float yesterday, with it all the way down, fuel still barely trickled out... now today with it down like that, you have to rock the car to get it out...

9. 55thunder

Re: Big time flooding.UPDATED

took the car out today and the floodiing continues.... took the bonnet off and after about 25 seconds fuel begins dripping from the front boosters....

10. Bowtie Guy

What Grade Gas are you using? Again just thinking out loud here, but you might want to check you fuel filter. If it is plugged or you get small specks of dirt out of it, I'd check your regulator and carb for plugged passages. Just a thought.
    Good Luck :2thumbs:
    Bowtie Guy

11. jesse

Sounds like you have a needle issue in the front. I'd pulll the bowl and blow into the fuel inlet with the bowl upside down. That will tell you if a needle is leaking. If its not check to make sure the float is not hitting the bowl vent. The vent could be holding the needle open a little.

12. 55thunder

found a piece of trash in the front bowl again... looks like a small piece of the cell from enlarging the outlet to -12... runs like a top again... as far as fuel, right now a mixture of c-16 and pump...

13. Robert1320

Do you have a fuel filter?

14. Boost Engineer

I am suprrised that the fragment from the cell mod would make it past the screened filter before the pump. You do have a screened filter there right? Kinsler makes them in large
    dash fitting sizes. Trash will cause the issues you described and you will continue to have
    the issues/ potential engine damage until you correct the contamination issue at the source.

Tom V.