1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"Big Red" 5.3 MPT-70 Regal (updated 11/25/09 almost finished)

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by topher455, Aug 27, 2008.

1. topher455

"Big Red" 5.3 MPT-70 Regal (updated 11/25/09 almost finished)

Ive been building my car for about 3 years now and since its getting close I figured I'd start a thread. I put it in the GM section after Id seen a couple of other guys do it and got better feedback that way. I hope its ok. Ive had several different engine and trans plans for the car including SBC BBB and an n/a LQ9 with a T-56 but finally decided on a T-6 turboed 5.3 backed by a built TH-400. I would like to thank everyone here for their patience and knowledge and I would like to help other members in return so if you would like to see different shots or more details of anything I have posted feel free to ask. I honestly have about 800 pics of the buildup process. Heres the specs for the car.

86 Buick Regal
    Boxed, Crossmembered, and Gusseted frame
    Global west A arms
    12" B body police brakes
    GN sway bar
    8.8 Disc brake Ford rear welded and braced 3.08 gears
    TRZ rear suspension double adjustable upper and lowers
    Hotchkis chassis braces
    Bilstien shocks all the way around

5.3 Truck motor installed with 1.5" setback and 1" lower in chassis
    ARP rod bolts and head studs
    Hand ported stock 5.3 heads
    02 Z06 cam
    Double roller timing chain
    Manley pushrods 7.425"
    GM single plane carbed intake
    Holley 700 cfm carb (converted to blow thru)

TH-400 street strip prepped
    3200 stall custom converter from Edge Racing
    Custom driveshaft
    B&M ratchet shifter

Custom Interior
    Autometer gauges in a custom pod

Custom mild steel headers

Still to finish: turbo system and fuel system

Im sure there are things I have left out so feel free to ask aabout anything you see

before sm.jpg #ad

eng sm.jpg #ad

int sm.jpg #ad

2. BLWN1

Re: "Big Red" 5.3 S472 Regal

WHo is doing the headers, and any interest in making 2?

3. topher455

Heres some of the frame work and chassis. I will continue to post more when I have time.

box plate.jpg #ad

front x.jpg #ad

susp frt.jpg #ad

rear susp.jpg #ad

4. topher455

I built them myself. Its not too difficult just time consuming which is why I really cant make another set right now.

5. nuckifuts

More pics please.

Very nice car, i love 83-87 regals.

6. loweredd

Awesome! What do the vice-grips do for the front brakes though???? LOL!

7. Crowder

nice im doing the same except in a foxbody coupe. 5.3, s475 and tci th400 rmvb with t brake. im still lacking fuel pump,lines, fittings, regulator, turbo y pipe, down pipe, intercooler piping, 60mm wga(500-600$ which sucks major ass), 50-56mm bov. mines got a 595/608 cam and prc dual springs w/ ti retainers. Ive got a base map if you need one for hp tuners, well its actually a tune lol. go to youtube and type in turbo ls1 nova and its his map. its actually a 5.3 in a 62 chevy II. pretty badass ride. Good Luck!!

8. topher455

Thanks guys I'll post some more pics tonight after work.

9. MeanYellowZ

Sounds like a good tune...wish I had one :)

Im at 11lbs of boost now and I think Im going to the track tomorrow for the first time with the car. Still untubbed on the open 10 bolt so it wont ET but Im curious on the MPH out of the stock 5.3. Im thinking 11.90 @ 120....

Car is looking good Topher......5.3s for life!

10. topher455

MeanyellowZ now you see why I was craving video of your ride! :2thumbs:

Heres some more pics there are so many I decided to post a few of each area of the car. If there is something you guys want to see let me know and I'll post it. Ive done everything myself at home in the garage so I have pics from every step of the build. Oh yea except the paint. Me and a guy at the Chrysler dealer I work for painted it in our booth at work.

trunk done.jpg #ad

gauge clust done.jpg #ad

int done.jpg #ad

eng fit.jpg #ad

ported head.jpg #ad

eng sm.jpg #ad

eng done.jpg #ad

11. topher455

And some more

carb done.jpg #ad

eng in car.jpg #ad

strt pass.jpg #ad

pass center.jpg #ad

fin pass.jpg #ad

drvr strtd.jpg #ad

drvr done.jpg #ad

both on car.jpg #ad

12. topher455

Hey put a posi in that thing! Your nova with an open diff is kinda like a really hot chick with a stinky puss. :doh:

Heres a pic of the whole car no motor in it but you get the idea

side.jpg #ad

13. MeanYellowZ

That is a super nice looking car. Mine needs more than just a posi....needs a 9".....a minitub (max tire 235 now) and that will just snowball so for now its how it is. Im so backed up doing work for people and more just keeps coming....I think Im gonna have to quit my dayjob soon :)

Check out this vette Im working on....going on about 3 months with this pretty much complete build...ugh

image006.jpg #ad

image008.jpg #ad

14. Crowder

haha, ive been studying it pretty hard. seems like the timing is a little low. my buddy said common timing retard for each pound of boost is usually .5 degree or to be safe 1 degree retard. when i get mine running im gonna bump it up to 20-22 degrees and see how that works out :nuts:. i might be reading it wrong though. you never did tell me what cam your running!!!!!!!!!! it sounds awesome. i cant stop watching your video.

15. Crowder

im guessing on 11 pounds and street tires........11.60s @ 126. i have no clue what your car weighs

16. loweredd

topher455, where are you mounting the turbo at?

17. topher455

Just in front of the pass side head. The driver side will merge into the pass collector just before entering the turbo. Thats why one is 2.5" and the other is 2.5". Its unconventional but it will give me the look Im after. Not sure about pointing the turbo forward or sideways (GN style) Im saving for the turbo now so I can finish up the hotside.

18. MeanYellowZ

Wish me luck.......and have a beer for the poor open 10 bolt :)

ATT998965.jpg #ad

19. loweredd

You better post videos MeanYellowZ :2thumbs:

topher455, I was hoping you had pictures of the turbo placement....... :bang: LOL.

20. MeanYellowZ

Stock LS1 timing is usually around 26 at WOT naturally aspirated. I havent seen many go above 18* with boost. 15 is a little on the safe side, but LS motors dont like timing