1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Q for correct turbo sizing

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by kingcrunch, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kingcrunch

Hello folks,

i'm quite new to the turbo topic and did not yet find my way through all the tech around turbos.
    I'd like to build a simple blow through propane setup for my 1976 Dodge 3/4t truck which sports
    a stock 318 (except 4bbl manifold + homemade hei ignition) and TF 727 automatic transmission.

Basic goal is a noticeable increase in mileage over the factory 11mpg on gasohol (gas + 10% ethanol, called E10).
    I am aiming for 15mpg. Correct me if you think that's impossible.

I mainly do highway commuting at 70mph, occasional hauling of 3/4-1t on the bed, no towing (except helping ppl get
    unstuck in winter).

I'd like to put a steady 7psi through the engine preferrably using a wastegate-controlled single turbo.
    I'd like to keep the factory exhaust manifolds and build the exhaust and induction system myself.

I've seen a few setups using MP T70 or Garrett 42s but i don't think these are what i'm looking for for my application
    as these setups are more of the peak-power kind and i'm looking for daily driver reliability in the 1000-3500 rpm range.

If i'm correct the turbo has to spool very quick but does not need to supply pressure over 7-8psi, unfortunately i can not
    apply that to my research due to lack of knowledge (i'm improving myself every day 8)).

May i ask you to recommend a suitable turbo that gives long term reliability and plays well with an IMPCO propane setup
    and that may improve mileage?

Besides choosing the right turbo i'm curious what alterations to the IMPCO-setup need to be done?
    I'm going to run a IMPCO 425 mixer on a holley squarebore 4bbl baseplate, E-model regulator and vacuum power valve.

Thank you very much,
    Alex

2. Mnlx

Maybe I missed it but, I dont see what engine your running.

3. kingcrunch

Sorry, my mistake. It's a bone stock Dodge 318, i've added that information.