1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best way to mount a shifter in a Mustang?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by TDmkr496, Oct 20, 2013.

1. TDmkr496

I'm getting ready to mount the shifter in my 88 Mustang (pro stick) I wanted some opinions as to what people did and if they did/did not like it. Thanks guys.

2. 93 turbocoupe

Holcomb motorsports has a shifter bracket, and it will fit in the stock location

3. H.P.Ranch

This works good for me. IMG_2308.JPG #ad

IMG_2308.JPG #ad

4. TDmkr496

I think I'm going to mount it where the ash tray goes, I think that's going to be the best location.

5. stangman9897

I used one of the brackets in my 98 and it wouldn't clear the dash, In park the detent lever is in the dash and to move it back to clear the dash I had to cut the bezel for it to go in 3rd and I even moved the detent lever to the back side of the shifter and still not happy with it.

6. stangman9897

I got the bracket from my tuner and tried mounting it flush with the tunnel and it was to low and then welded a plate over the hole to raise it up and it hit the dash below the radio , so i moved the detent lever to the back side and the knob still touches the dash barley and had to notch the bezel for it to go in 3rd. fixing to cut a hole in the console and move it back and put the cover on it and make a alum plate go go where the shifter was and mount 2 gauges in it.

shifter plate 003.jpg #ad

shifter plate 006.jpg #ad

shifter 003.jpg #ad

shifter 005.jpg #ad

T Brake.jpg #ad

7. mustang-junky

I used the Holcolm Motorsports mounting plate in my '90 with a Quarter Stick. I don't like it. If I did it over I would put it where the ash tray goes.

Another solution would be to get rid of the console and just use a E-brake cover from an early fox mustang. I did this with my '79, my shifter is a B&M ratchet shifter, I use the base that came with the shifter and the E-brake cover.

Jess

8. stangman9897

I have some sheet Alum been thinking of making a console out of alun with gauge and switch mounts and tig it all up and maybe polish it , I have a big industrial polisher so it wouldn't take that long.

9. lost_soul

I've tried to send the guy above a message about how he moved the detent lever to the back of his shifter and when I click on his name there is no option for a message, am I doing something wrong ?

10. PrecisionTurboMustang

He got banned.

Whats your question? I can text him.

11. scoates

I had the holcomb mount and it put the shifter too far away for my liking. Here is what on mine.

uploadfromtaptalk1386047979965.jpg #ad