1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best resource for LS swap material?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Disney Lincoln, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Disney Lincoln

I've got a 1994 Chevy C1500 2WD stepside that I want to swap an LS into. I've got a complete running 2003 Yukon with 5.3 that i can take parts off of. It was hit hard in front, but engine is mostly OK (oil pan is busted). It's 4x4 so I can't use the trans. The 700R4 in the truck now shifts great so i'm OK with keeping that.

I did this swap one weekend with my brother into his 89 Suburban, but he's had two more kids since then and can't find any info on any of the stuff he used. I just remeber it being very easy to do. We completed the swap and had it running in two days....

Just looking for resources and knowledge right now. I know i'll need mount adapters, maybe some AC adapters?? high pressure fuel pump, flexplate adapter, Kickdown cable and possible throttle cable.

Oh... And I might turbo the stupid thing too.

2. 89notchback

LS1 tech is where I got most of my info when I was swapping a LS into my Mustang. Lots of great info on that site.

3. Disney Lincoln

4. Kerrdogg

I may have an extra oil pan, as far as the wiring and stuff goes I am ripping mine out tomorrow and starting fresh so I am not the source.

5. Disney Lincoln

I'll take that pan if you don't need it.

I've been reading more on the truck swaps. Seems like the harness j have should work ok but I might be better off having someone else marry the to harnesses together. I need to go to the shop and see if the truck I have is drive by wire first.

6. 89notchback

Here is a great source for wiring diagrams for most truck

www.lt1swap.com

7. 89notchback

damn double post

8. BlownShovel

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. PayUpSuka

Honestly, this forum should be all you need to answer any questions you have. Good luck on the build!

10. Disney Lincoln

Read your thread. Some good info!!! Did you ever sort out all your PCM issues? TO be honest, after reading your thread it about has me wanting to do MS1 MSD combo ala Denmah style. I just want all the stock gauges to work as well....

11. BlownShovel

The PCM issues really were:
    ANTITHEFT - Passkey - Had to be disabled - Relearn
    connectivity - For some reason I had to start the vehicle in order for codes to be read instead of just powering the pcm trigger as usual. I believe it was a result of the initial tuner/config

as for options MS or Factory
    Either way lots of wiring. I basically used the truck wiring as well as an 03 harness(donor truck). Way too many wires. In hind site either take the time to sort all wires and remove unnecessary or buy a harness.
    Factory PCM- Need to reprogram - buy a tuner, dyno shop, mail order tune --- remove one set of O2'sensors , Change rear gear/tire combo, etc - How to control trans?
    Aftermarket - Can do it all but from square one - and still need to figure out what to do with the trans control - ms submodule was developed. I did not see a buy/bolt on solution available last time I looked.

Gauges - temp(adapter to use factory sender in New Powerplant), speedo ( use truck harness) , Volts unchanged (splice truck harness into proper alternator connector), Tach - you will read x8 if you hook directly up. You can use a splitter, side box, other method but in the end you may have the same issue I had 5,000 or 5,500 tach - and the new motor will want and use more than that.

Wish you were closer we'd hammer this out Denmah style in a weekend

12. Disney Lincoln

I've read something about using a 680k ohmresistor to keep the tach working correctly. I'm tossed up on the cam setup too. Thinking about using the ZR1 cam like Denmah, but at the same time, I wonder if it would be worth much NA. Any insight?

13. BlownShovel

My problem was my tach didn't go high enough - motor went well beyond. For cam I would leave the stock longblock alone. Work the tune and have fun. Once you crack the first bolt... you will be changing many things and adding $$$ in a hurry. Just my opinion--- You could add cam/etc down the road.

14. bigkw2003

ls1truck.com has a lot of great info