1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

air intake tubing/placement question on twin turbo sbc

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by actmobmar, Nov 3, 2010.

1. actmobmar

hi guys, my turbos face sideways rite in front of my engine, w/ the turbo air intakes facing each other, ithe car is a 69 camaro and i want to get cold air from the outboard side of the headlites(behind the grill), should i just have the 2 pipes cross each other in an "x" fashion so that way theres no steep turns in the pipes?? any suggestions as to what to use to plumb it(plastic, etc?) i believe its 3"(t3/t4), thanks!!

2. mnm99

Pictures???? I have a 68. Why did you mount the sideways? How are you going to fit the downpipes? Here's my 68.

DSC01463.JPG #ad

3. Orr89rocz

How can you get air from behind the headlights if the turbo air intakes are pointing towards each other in the middle of the engine bay? Run the pipes all the way under and around? I wouldnt X them together, i'd keep them both seperate.

Check out classicfirebird's build thread in the build boards... 69 camaro with twin turbo big block

4. actmobmar

i was thinking about crossing 1 pipe above the other(not tieing them together), that way there would only be a slight bend in eaach pipe, more like a gentle bend towards the front of the car. as far as the downpipes, the turbo exhaust exit faces outboard, i was going to run it down and back and follow under the headers to the back of the car, i just rebuilt the motor and got it back in the car last nite, so i'll try to get some pics up tonite

5. 73maro511TT

Pre compressor piping it doesn't really matter with that gentle bend blah blah blah. Do yourself a favor and turn the turbos 180 degrees. You downpipes still have to make the same kind of bends to follow under your headers, but your compressors will be further out of the way and WAY easier to plumb. If you do t want to do that, run 90's off the inlets and go straight down and under the radiator. Couple more 90's to have the pipes going vertical, then stick a k&n cone on each one.