1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Timming under boost (first start up)

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by zodicus, Oct 20, 2010.

1. zodicus

Running a PMS ver 4. With the factory timming is pulling one deg per pound enuf to start tunning from there or should i pull more and work up. I should be startting the car in a few weeks at first i just wanna get it to idle and cruise then it will prob sit till summer. I'll use the winter to get the interior back in and finish the body work. Dont want to go out on the first shak down run and have it knock like crazy as soon as im in boost. Not surfe how agressive the factory timming is should i pull some there as well? compression is 8.5:1 93 oct target boost is 15 for now, will have to see where my IDC% is at that point. prob start at 8 witch is wast gate pressure then go up from there untill 15psi or i hit a prob or 85-90% IDC.

2. Capri81

may want to look up a stock timing table but i believe it is ~ 30* total. so at 15psi you should be around 15deg of timing at the top. That is fairly low, I have run 23 on pump with 15psi. stock shortblock. Get the AFR's dialed in and start adding the timing back.

3. zodicus

thanks nice to see a real world exsample. So i should be more than safe (asumming a decent AFR) to start tuning.
    Might be a while though i atempted a start yester day, wasnt expecting much but it didnt even try to fire. So i got a problem to track down be fore i even think about tuning.

4. underpsi68

A stock EEC has 25-26* timing at WOT.

I hope you are using the S/A PMS timing? If so the PMS locks the timing at 25* +/- any table adjustments.

With S/A timing turned on enter +12 in the 2000rpm WOT cell, +10 in the 4000rpm cell, +8 in the 5800 cell and +6 in the 8000 cell (all using the anchr points). Do the same under the HL cells. Than set the boost retard (you have the MAP sensor hooked to the PMS?) to pull 1* of timing for each lb of boost. This should be a good starting point.

Also trigger the S/A timing at 2000rpm/40% TPS.

5. zodicus

yeha i got the S/A on, was planning on triggering it just before the onset of boost (witch i think will be about 3000RPM), but you think i should as low as 2000 hu. Why is that. factory timming table that crappy?
    Yep got a 2 bar MAP hooked up to the PMS.

6. underpsi68

You run S/A timing so you know exactly what the timing will be. 25* +/- any adjustments, done.

7. zodicus

thanks, i will give that a shot. if i have to choose between adding fule or taking timming (if it knocks) witch you guys think i should do? i took some fule out on my wrx under boost and it felt better, but the ecu pulled a few deg of timming. it being the daily driver that worried me so i put the fule back. with the stang should i do the same?

8. underpsi68

I would remove timing and leave the A/F rich. Just remember that you don't always hear detonation.

9. zodicus

thanks again for the advice. I was. leanning that way. I didnt hear anything with the wrx, but the ecu did. I dont have the lux of a knock sensor on the stang :p

10. zodicus

got it to start! I dont have the wide band hookled up yet need to get the bung weldded in. But the exhaust is getting hot real fast so i think im running lean, and or to advanced(or is it retarded) any who should i start adding fule with global fule till im close then start tweeking from the map or try to fix it all in the fule map?

11. underpsi68

What are you fixng up? First check the timing with a timing light to make sure the timing is accurate. Next install the WB. You will just be guessing without it.

12. zodicus

ok i wasnt very clear there. not fixing anything right now. Like you said need to varify timming, get the wide ban installed ect. but when the time comes if its basiclly lean or rich should i first get it close with global fule or go right for the fule maps? mabye im assuming wrong that it wont be close?

13. 93PONY

Definately run S/A ON for timing.

A9L adds 16 degrees to base timing (typically 10).
    A9M adds 20.25 degrees to base.
    A9P adds 20.75 degrees to base.

In other words, you need to know what computer you have in order to figure out the exact timing the stock ECU will give at WOT.......or just run S/A with the PMS which adds 15 to base.

14. decipha

stock timing on a fox body mustang at WOT is

>5000 26
    3500 22
    2600 22.5
    2150 21.5
    1800 18.5
    <1000 10

stock timing on an sn95 with boost is

>5000 25
    3500 23
    2600 21.25