1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best diagnostic, tuning, flashing, programming setup?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by planestrainsandcars, Jun 26, 2021.

1. planestrainsandcars

Hey all.

Curious about any recommendation about the best setup for diagnostics, tuning, and programming and why.
    I am interested in not only ECU flashing/programming but also programming and resetting other modules in the vehicle. This is for personal use, I work on a few Kias/Hyundais, a Honda, and a couple of Chevys. Family's cars. I also work on other makes for friends.

I have a J2534 setup (Drewtech Cardaq 2 with a laptop) but was really unimpressed with the Kia/Hyundai software for J2534. The software does basically...nothing, and the support from Kia/Hyundai was essentially non-existent. Which is a shame, because I know that a lot can be done with J-box's but Kia hasn't made it so. The software was much better for Honda with their i-HDS.

Looking into getting an Autel diagnostics tablet because I hear they are as good as the Snap On diag. tablets for half the price.

Really just interested in something that is good for all-around diagnostics, programming of modules, and repair. ECU tuning would be more of an afterthought. But having the ability to program a used ECU for replacement would be what I am interested in, as well as performing learning procedures, programming on modules beyond ECU/TCU (SRS, ABS, TPMS, etc).

2. B E N

You may be able to supplement what you already have with HPtuners. It is strong on the domestic stuff, but weak on the imports. Also has no support for body control modules, abs etc. It will give you the ability to datalog and pull codes/freeze frames, and tune. But it isn't an all around diagnostics tool like the snap on, it will be focused on engine and transmissions, it really depends on what you need out of the tool. https://forum.hptuners.com/forum.php

3. 91turboterror

i used the Autel maxisys on eurotrash cars . It works pretty good. I can’t say it’s the best.They also have a identifix like hotline too. Can’t say I’m impressed with the Snap off stuff for the money you pay for it plus the price of updates is expensive.

planestrainsandcars likes this.
  4. planestrainsandcars

Is there anything else better than Autel out there in that price range?

I hear they are basically the best option you are able to get, other than a dealer GDS.