Ben's DIY Turbo GT

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Feb 21, 2013.

By TTF/Ken on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

turbogtside.jpg
    Background:

I've been into 5.0 mustangs for over 13 years now and I had 1989 turbo mustang that I sold about 5 years ago. I vowed that I would be back :) When I was thinking about what I wanted to build for my next combo, I wanted to keep a real street car and run big numbers because my previous car had been an all track drag race car. I found this '93 on a craigslist ad about 2 years ago and the build up began. I had every intention of going big turbo and big motor but some of the guys on this website were making crazy hp numbers with a stock long block. The motor in my mustang ran fine so I decided to build a kit around this car and see if there numbers were a joke or they were for real. Trust me, there for real!! It still boggles my mind how this stock long block can make this power with just a turbo kit and some good tuning. 525fwhp out of a stock motor is pretty good! Thanks to all those guys out there who stuck with the stock long blocks because now I'm a believer :) If you want to follow the ongoing saga that is my car checkout the builds section or click on the link to take you there:

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/294947-My-somewhat-DIY-turbo-setup-October-2011-Update

Current Combo

Turbo System:
    JBA 1 5/8" Headers turned around
    2 1/2" crossover, 3" downpipe , flowmaster y-pipe, hooker mufflers, 2 1/2" talpipes
    T-67 Compressor/ .96AR EH
    Tial 38mm wastgate
    Ebay intercooler 33x12x4
    Chassis shop blow-off valve
    intercooler piping is 2.5" out of turbo into intercooler and 3" from intercooler to motor

Engine and Management System:
    Completely stock longblock with 164,000 miles on it! Throttle body to oil pan it's all Ford
    DFI gen6 tuned by me

Induction and Fuel:
    stock fuel rails and lines
    Aeromotive regulator
    42lb injectors
    Water/Meth injection 720cc's

Ignition and Exhaust:
    MSD6A, MSD Blaster Coil
    2.5" Hooker Maxflow mufflers and 2.5 tailpipes

Transmission and rear:
    Art Carr AOD w/ full manual valve body, transbrake, 1 piece shaft, non-lockup 9" art carr converter
    8.8 with 28 spline stock ford axles, 3:55 gears, auburn pro-posi unit

Front Suspension:
    QA1 coilovers with 10 way adjustable struts
    QA1 caster/camber plates

Rear Suspension:
    Maximim Motorsports Heavy duty torque arm
    Maximum Motorsports Panhard bar
    Maximum Motorsports 1" Anti-roll bar
    Maximum Motorsports lower control arms
    Bilstein shocks with coil overs

Tires and rims:
    Saleen 18x9.5 rims for the street
    Weld front 17" Alumastars skinnies for the track

Body:
    Stock with a 2.5" cowl hood

Other:
    Have all factory power accessories except air conditioning
    Baer brakes on all 4 corners
    Factory black cloth interior

Future plans:
    The boost was just turned up to 19psi and tuned on the street. Dyno numbers and track times coming soon! This combination is going into my buddies car as soon as split the block in half! :)

I'm building an 331ci R302 motor right now and it will have:
    AFR185 heads
    Turbo people solid roller cam
    Canton Pan w/ windage tray
    Downs breadbox upper w/ fox lake stage 3 GT-40 ported lower

I'm also building a new turbo kit with a new GT42-76 Precision Turbo and a bigger intercooler. My new Lentech AOD just showed up and my new converter is showing up later this week. As soon as i get those parts in I can get to the dyno and see what kind of numbers it will make on 19psi!
    bentrack3.jpg turbogtint.jpg bentrack1.jpg turbogtfront.jpg turbogtmotor.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Feb 21, 2013.