1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Benefits Of Outside Facing Turbo Forward Vs Sideways

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 14chp2c, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 14chp2c

Well I am changing to a bigger turbo and had this hole in headlight to help get air to the turbo and I thought it was cool. But it seems with the bigger turbo I cant face it forward and run a 4" downpipe and I know I could use a 3.5" downpipe but I am still debating on that still. I am just wondering if there is any negatives of anything, if I face the turbo sideways so I can run the 4" downpipe, since its not getting that nice cool air like before? New setup is a GT4276 and I am trying to make around 1000HP now.

2. conbread

i dont think you are going to lose any power going to a sideways mount deal... that is a nice setup you had, but i think you will be fine..

3. 2fastCobra

You could still run pipping from the front to catch the cool air.

4. slow67

I'm pretty sure the ram-air effect would make more power. Also, a side entry may not create a smooth entry going into the turbo, hurting power.

5. turbofreek

RAM air does not effect power on a turbo car. It's been tested by several of the pros to see no improvement. They only mount them that way due to room and hopeful to make that extra power. No one has ever stated it improves power when going front mounted route. If anyone can prove otherwise ill mount mine forward facing

6. bags50lx

kolivas claims its worth about 3 mph. And it drops a little backpressure

7. turbofreek

this is the first I've ever heard this and its been discussed several times here with some of the pros inputs.

8. 14chp2c

I just had a friend tell me last night that there was a few people that claim they gained some MPH, I havent had time to research that yet

9. slow67

X2, if it didn't add power I would bet that none of the outlaw 10.5 cars would do it, not to mention its against the rules in some classes to have a forward facing turbo inlet.

10. wantabe

ram air DOES effect power.. ;)
    found 2 mph on my car @ 1/8th mile.

think about your p2/p1 ratio sums too... ;)

i'll dig up some pictures later

edit:
    also, i have a prostock racer in my division, and seeing his data loga one day showed a positive pressure in the scoop region, just above the carbies... that makes power
    no difference to more than 14.7 psi of atmosphere are the front of the compressor wheels

11. wantabe

this first picture, the car made 34 psi boost ...manual regular screwed right down....maxed out
    turbochargers are turbonetics TC units , as per Jose @ Forced Inductions.
    358 cubes, methanol fuel, ( and one of those reverse split camshafts that don't work too.. ;) )
    this combo has been run from summer to winter, good and bad air... boost does not change.

the 2nd picture , the same turbos,same engine, BUT bell mouths fitted... same regular setting, it now makes 36psi boost
    funnelling of air into turbos works well... 8)
    yes, the fuel tank was moved forward 31 inchs, to help with weight further forward... hold the front wheels down..

if the turbo was turned 90*, i honestly believe , the reults would be even further apart.

post-615-1249745295135874088.jpg #ad

wbjdtt050610_278.jpg #ad

12. slow67

Madman built a scoop for an N/A LS1 out of the "fishmouth" of the bumper and actually made almost 1psi of boost in a 12x mph 1/4 mile car.

13. turbofreek

see this is the first time I've seen somebody say it made more power facing foward ash. I love the look, but didn't believe there was a difference till just now. This should be stickied, cuz even i didnt know this. I mean i know ram aor has been proven n/a no doubt. I just have read repeatedly it didnt make a difference on turbo cars. Now I got to plan a complete different setup for my hotside.

14. wantabe

im the divisional director for drag racing , for my area over here...
    i tend to get access to alot of ppls pit areas...appart from tuning cars etc...
    looking at a prostock racers data logger , and the positive pressure in the scoop gave me the idea, cause i actually saw the data, naturally it was hard not to believe..
    after chatting to a engineer, that majors in air flow / thermodynanics, the mind goes into over drive with ideas etc..

the bell mouths were fitted.. :)

15. 14chp2c

So do I get credit for bringing it up? LOL

16. turbofreek

I like that you did because I wanted to know the answer. I just never got around asking, cos I've never seen anyone post positive results.

17. wantabe

never give all the serects away... 8)

18. wantabe

lol..

19. ducatibrian

ash what did you pick-up to the 330 with the bellmouths vs without and how much mph increase?

20. 14chp2c

I just thought it would be better and I love the look, now I just dont know what to do about a downpipe, I really wanted a 4" but everybody keeps telling me a 3.5" will work but thats not what I wanted to hear. I wonder, since I am running a spyder intake, is to have a 4" to the firewall and then a split and have two 3-3.5" down each side of the transmission Or I could just put a hole in the apron behind the strut tower and have the downpipe come out another made hole at the bottom of the fender?