1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Benefits of head studs over regular bolts

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by KJ94GT, Feb 24, 2003.

1. KJ94GT

What is the benefit of, and why do people use, head studs over regular ARP bolts?

How will this be of benefit on an R331 with the block o-ringed?

Do the heads require any modification for studs?

Keep in mind, this is my first engine build-up and I want to do it right the first time.

2. Trentk

definitely get studs. I am not an expert but they provide more clamping force and they can prevent the head from lifting and blowing head gaskets. They do not require anything special.

3. Clem Eastwood

not to mention studs do not stress the block like bolts do.

4. KJ94GT

So, say for example you've got a stock 302 block in front of you. Can you just install the studs, or is there some machine work that has to be done in order to use studs?

5. Clem Eastwood

no machine work, just make sure to use sealer on the studs that go into the water jackets and arp moly lube or similar on the rest, just like w/ bolts.

6. Snipe656

No, you can just install the studs.

7. KJ94GT

Cool. Thanks guys.