1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Belt drive Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by junk94, Feb 12, 2010.

1. junk94

So I finally got back working on the pile and we are working on the fuel system. Its going to have a belt driven fuel pump. I have heard of guys having problems getting them started after they sit or after they go through the lights and click it off. I have a one way valve for the feed line but thought of putting a small electric pump on it just to get it started. Anyone done this? I went looking for a -12 "T" that has one side a -6 or -8 but I have not had any luck.

Tim what did you end up putting on your car?

2. Wanderer

On EFI cars, this has been done. A secondary electric fuel pump is put in place to prime the injectors and then the pump is turned off after the car is running. On a carb car it really shouldn't be an issue but probably can't hurt.

3. junk94

I thought about that after I posted it. I dont think the carb will have problems but the last thing I need is this pile not starting because of the belt drive.

Anyone have a place to get a -12 T with a -6 or -8 on one side?

4. Tims86-9.80

You will not need to do anything but put the pump on and pay attention to how the line is run from the back to the front.

Even if it sits soo long the fuel bowls are dry there is still fuel in the squirters, pump the gas and off it goes. The firs time you put fuel in the system can take a little to get fuel up to the pump but once that is done it will be fine.

Some times, I will pull the fuel reg boost ref line off the hat and spray break clean into the hat and it will fire right up. I will do that if I don't want to spend time cranking the engine to fill the carb with fuel.

It is not as hard as you think. If at the end of the track it does not want to fire, just put the pedal to the floor and clear it out, it will fire.

That is if you were asking my opinon. :stupid:

5. junk94

Its better to ask how others spent their money then spend all yours and not acomplish what you wanted to.

6. Tims86-9.80

Were good. No such thing as a bad question. Doing your homework pays off big time. :cheers: