1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Blow Through Chevy 250 L6

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by longbed67, Mar 12, 2012.

1. longbed67

BLOCK:
    Bore: 3.905" (give or take based on actual piston measurements)
    Pistons: Silv-o-lite Cast stock type for .030" overbore
    Rings: Engine Pro performance racing rings
    Cam Bearings: Dura-Bond
    Main and Rod Bearings: Clevite
    Oil Pump: Melling
    Rod Bolts: ARP
    Main Bolts: ARP (Note I ordered 2 sets of SBC 283 main bolts as they are the same as the 250's because they dont make a kit for the inline 6 250)
    Block was line bored and decked for level based on cylinder 1 and 6 and bored .030 over

HEAD:

Head Studs: ARP
    New guides
    Hardened exh seats
    Screw in rocker studs (7/16)
    1.94/ 1.60 valve sizes , Undercut stems, stainless construction
    High Flow lump kit
    Fully ported
    Decked .030 -- Chamber size 70CC
    High Performance Comp Cams springs setup for .550 lift Hydraulic cam (dont remember the spring pressure have to look up)
    Lite weight retainers
    3 angle performance valve job
    Modern valve seals
    Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum XD Rocker arms (1.75 ratio)
    -the rocker arms are traditionally for a BBC but have been custom ordered with the 1.75 ratio
    Push Rods currently being built 5/16 push rod with .116 wall

CAM SHAFT:

Comp Cams Hydraulic flat tappet lifter
    Lift .495
    Duration 212 @ .050
    113 Lobe separation.

IGNITION:

MSD Digital 6 Plus
    HEI Distributer

INTAKE:

Clifford Intake with Billet 4bbl adapter plate.
    ----Programmable microprocessor controlled Methanol injection setup in intake
    ----Modified to accept MAP sensor for digital read out of vacuum and boost on touchscreen with the air ride controls in the dash
    Holley 600cfm double pumper with Hanger18 mods
    Extreme-Velocities Carb Hat with 1" spacer ring

Exhaust:

SPA Turbo Manifold ( I have milled out the divider in the center as well as rebored and redrilled/taped the wastegate hole)
    Tial Wastegate- 35mm
    Turbo:
    Honeywell Garrett TO4B with a .96 A/R exhaust side 76 trim
    Schwitzer (Borg-Warner) turbo compressor side 64 trim wheel

2. longbed67

Here are some photos so far most everything is just mocked up on it right now, I am waiting for my head studs and push rods to come in...

IMG_1311.jpg #ad

IMG_1318.jpg #ad

60-1 Compressor Trim.jpg #ad

3. its just a six

I would recommend getting forged pistons, they can take more detonation than cast pistons.

I convinced a kid to put a turbo on his stock 250 engine, it worked well, but he did not take care as not to detonate his engine as he ran really lean A/F ratios as lean as 14:1 while pushing 15 psi, no intercooler. Long story........................

Mike Kirby sells MLS head gaskets. http://www.sissellautomotive.com/

Not sure what trans your are going to use, the turbine housing w/an A/R of .96 is pretty big, will get turbo lag, if supporting equipment does not suite it.

Goodluck on the build.

4. watahyahknow

i have een youtube films about a mexican version of a chevy pickup with a turboed inline six , the results where impressive , maibe you should make a crank girdle for it

5. longbed67

I am not running a lot of lift on the cam, being an inline engine, and having a proportionate large about of bearings holding the crank in, I am not to concerned about the block twisting or warping, is there any huge advantage to having one??? Also, what do you guys think would be a safe amount of boost to run??? I will have an intercooler, meth spray, and the compression is ~8.9:1.

6. watahyahknow

o just figured you'd make a lot more power on a 2 bolt main , if youthink the block is stout enough it shouldnt be needed
    u seen ine once that they made in such a way it kept the oilspray and windage of the crank as whell

7. longbed67

A few more bits of info... I do have the performance series Fel-Pro Head Gasket. I will also be running a Turbo XS knock sensor. As well as an innovate Wideband monitor. Right now I do not have the money for forged pistons they were an extra $430 I didnt have.... As I am rebuilding the entire truck ground up.

watahyahknow, the L6 motors were all "two bolt mains" there were no 4 bolts the only way to do that would machine it for a splayed 4 bolt conversion and use custom built billet caps...

8. its just a six

The stock bottom end is pretty stout.

1 main cap, 1 rod, another main cap 1 more rod & so-on. 7 main caps in total.

Guys in Brazil have made approx 1000 HP w/the stock cast iron crank & stock main caps, no other mods to block or main caps or crank. Just aftermarket rods.

Glad to hear you are going to use a knock sensor & meth injection :2thumbs:

Is that how you are going to run your turbocharger?
    Normally it goes w/the compressor cover towards the front of the car.

9. its just a six

10. longbed67

Yeah something like that setup.... I just went through and sanded it smooth and ceramic coated it....

Yeah I will run the compressor to the front I used it on a 300" Ford I6 before this engine and the exhaust is on the other side of the motor so the unit is rotated wrong and I was mocking it up for oil lines. My ARP head studs are on back order.... :swear: because the guy I bought them from conveniently forgot to tell me that he was out of them even after I paid for rush shipping to get them here sooner!!!

11. longbed67

On a good note though I did get in a new set of tial springs and diaphragm to rebuild my wastegate! I also got my BOV ordered.

12. longbed67

Just found out that the guy who machined my block and assembled the short block set the ring gap at .020 top!!! Is that going to be enough?

13. Matt Cramer

Just wanted to say it's nice to see another pushrod inline six buildup!

14. Mnlx

General rule is .005-.006 per inch of bore for top ring, and .0055-.006 for second ring. So 3.905 * .005= .0195" and .0214" for top and second rings respectively.

15. DeboDaddy

I'd also like to say that I'm watching this with a close eye. Have had my 250 straight six out of my old Nova sitting in the corner of the garage for years now, just wanting to put it in something with a blow-thru setup. :2thumbs:

16. slammed98gmc

anyone seen this truck?

super cool guys and awesome truck. straight 6 with t4 based 80mm garrett turbo. Fuel injected , all home built on dot tires!

17. slammed98gmc

18. longbed67

I hate to say I wont be able to do anything more for at least a week with the engine due to the head studs still on back order and they finally just got shipped! But on another note I got the air ride plumbed and shot a quick video of testing the valves before installing the electronics.

19. longbed67

Hey I also wanted to say thanks up front for all the help you guys have given me so far.

20. denmah

nice! i like this, totally different!