1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BBF twin turbo project.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by blewbyu, Sep 22, 2006.

1. blewbyu

has anyone in nere done this or looked into it.I have a 466 a460 headed.bbf that I'm doing.I want to put twins on it.I need some cam spec help.anyone got ant ideas who can help.I'm trying to make atleast 900hp.

2. bdass86coupe

466ci 900hp is easy a little bigger than stock solid roller twin 76's with .96 housings and hang on but for only 900hp there really is no need to go twins a single 88 with 1.xxx
    ar housing and the 900 is easy plus a single kit is a lot less $$$$$$

3. fastwhite86gt

that car could make stupid power if you wanted it to.

4. blewbyu

any idea on what kind of specs I should be looking for on the cam.I have my heads eady to go together and i'm just trying to figure out what springs I need to run.

5. 512Mach1

I'm doing a 514 build with single turbo. It's a big rig Holset HT4B turbo, 85mm compressor. It's a huge turbo so make sure you've got room for it if you go that route. The cam I'm using is a simple single pattern flat tappet hydraulic. It's 220* at .050" lift on intake and exhaust side with .517" lift (using stock pedestal rockers) with a 112* LSA. To be honest, you'll easily make a LOT more than 900hp with A heads and a decent cam with any substantial amount of boost. I'm building a simple motor that will make an easy 800hp at around 12psi of boost (that's an estimated guess at this point) and will be going in a daily driver type of hot rod. I'm using stock EFI heads with a little bowl blend work. You can probably make a reliable 900hp with a completely stock 460 with just a mild cam change and forged pistons. Heck, you could probably get by just fine on the stock cast pistons if the tune was very safe. It's what I should have done from the begining, take a stock 460, slap in some cheap H beam rods and cheap dished forged pistons, used large chamber stock iron heads with minimal work, and boost the crap outta it with a $200 junkyard big turbo. I'm not too far from that formula right now. To really make use of those A heads you should be looking to make 1500+hp. Of course once you get much above that it'd be nice to have 18 bolt heads (which TFS just came out with in their A460 heads, but with 82cc revised combustion chamber) and corresponding block. Still, with good gaskets and good tune, I don't think 2000hp would be tough to do on a factory block with billet caps, forged crank, H beams, good pistons, and twin 76-80mm turbos. You could keep it at 900hp if that's what your chassis dictates, but the heads will be overkill at that level.

6. No4njnk

You can make 900 with those heads NA, but they are some of the best turbo heads in my opinion. Anything 88mm or larger will work, but I wouldnt want to go smaller than 94mm.

7. ralphiejantz

get in contact with comp cams or cammotion they'll steer you in the right direction as far as a cam goes

8. 512Mach1

I also think the A460 heads are great for turbo use, I just don't know if there's much use building a turbo motor with them that will only be making 900hp (unless you want to do it with less than 3psi of boost) ;)

9. codycr6

I would worry about the stock block above 1000hp...I have contemplated this route, but would probably go with a Premier block, good crank and rotating assembly, solid flat tappet, and a cam of maybe 240/250, around .600 lift with a 114 LSA or so... pay close attention to oiling on a big block! I actually thought about twin Master Power T70's...

10. blewbyu

Thanks guys.I Know about the oiling problems on a big block.i've had a couple before and we found a way to cure it.thanks again.Bob