1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

wait and build or practice while building

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by sparx, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sparx

I have a low millage 351w which I am planning on putting in my truck however I also have a rebuilt 302. My question is, people on this forum generally tend to blow up there first motor while perfecting there tune than change and build a bigger and better setup. Should I fit the hot and cold side for the 351 but then run the 302 and get a decent tune while building the forged 351. Or just start with the 351 get a base tune with stock internals then gradually build it. I would kind of like to sell this 302 and put the money toward my build, however its a nice backup but then Im going backwards if I start with the 351.

2. Traction Issuez

If you build to one it won't necessarily fit on the other. The 351 is pretty damn tough, 302, not so much. Sell the 302

3. sparx

I understand the logic but due to the engine bay lets just say they would fit. would u learn with the 302 run it till it blows. then have a basic tune and experience to then put in your primary long term reliable motor. maybe Iv just had to much time to wonder this site reading how everybody blows there first motors and im just over analyzing things. ur proubly right just put in the 351 the first time and hope it doesnt blow the first time i rail it and it lean spikes or what ever fluke happens

4. stangboy86

how about do enough research that you build a mild setup without blowing the 351 up, then build your good motor and go wild once you've got a grip on tuning. not everybody blows up their first motor, i ran a butt load (26 bottles to be exact) through my first motor, then later turbo'd the same engine without ever having a hiccup.the car is still running around town here 5 years later. do the research, pay attention, be careful, dont get greedy, and you will be just fine IMHO. my .02

5. Traction Issuez

The exhaust manifold flanges are not spaced identically on a 302 and a 351, therefore if you build one it won't necessarily fit on the other

6. venms03

+1

7. stangboy86

oh and i agree lose the 302

8. jridenour31

+1

If you plan on going with a 351 then do it from the start. Just start with a very safe tune before you start leaning on it. There's no reason to expect to blow up your first engine.

9. spoolinranger

sell the 302 and put cash on the 351, I'm almost finished with my 351 turbo build. I had a 331 and decided turbo is what I wanted. But, I wanted to learn on a cheap stock engine that was pretty strong , stroker got put up for sale, because of the stock block and the high cost of the stroker build. I figured, instead of taking a chance and blowing it up trying to tune a turbo. I could sell it and use the cash for the new build. Just read and if you can't find the answer, ask on here because what your doing now has already been done by someone on here and they can steer you to the correct answer. Good luck