1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BBF 460 turbo headers for FOX body car?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Big_Ed, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Big_Ed

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76813.0

I am starting a new bottomless pit project and am wondering if 460 manifolds would do decent or if I will have to have some turbo manifolds fabricated up for my project. Typical race car thing going on with battery in the back along with fuel cell. But I am going to put a one wire hot alternator on in since I am wanting to keep it street legal. It will be a single turbo, carb'd blow through setup. I am still kinda up in the air over a 5 speed or auto. I think the TKO600 would be fine for this horsepower range.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc? Like I said in the DIY forum, I would like to get 600 RWHP out of the stock 460 with 92 octane. I might use a whiff of nitrous (50-100 hp) to help get the turbo spooling and the engine pounding some ponies. But I dont intend on going apeshit with a $30K engine either. I dont have the patience or money to do that. Not to mention that after sinking that much cash into an engine, if it scattered, I would just kill myself before doing it again. So let me know if anyone has some information on things like swapover kits and such. Right now the plan is to go motor plate in the front and rubberized trans mount in the rear for mounting up the engine and transmission. I dont want to chance the motor ripping a motor mount in half during a race and my engine trying to pop out the hood on me.

2. gryphon68

You even look at a BBF funny with a turbo and you will make 600hp, forget the nitrous, you will not have trouble spooling anything.

There will be plenty of fabrication required even with cast exhaust manifolds, but yes I think they should work within your goals.

Remember, most transmissions are really rated for torque, not hp, you are easily going to exceed 600 ft-lbs with a turbo BBF IMHO. An simple 'glide would probably help settle down a car that is otherwise a big handful, even at part throttle.

3. Big_Ed

Do you know of any installation kits available? Can stock manifolds be reversed like the 5.0's? Whatever information you have on this would be really helpful. I would rather not go with a glide. I would prefer just having a nicely built C6 instead. Something streetable with a 2500 or so stall and MAYBE a transbrake. Just depends on how expensive it is to get one that way.

I was thinking of either 4.10 or 3.73 gears, but a limit of 4.30's. Any input on this? Like I said before, I will be driving it to and from the track on occasion, and maybe around town. What size final exhaust should I go with since it will be single turbo? 3" or 3.5"? I intend on running the exhaust on the opposite side of the car as the starter, just for the sake of not cooking the thing everytime I run the car. Would the stock heads be decent enough for this, or should I plan on not having a social life for a year to get a set of aftermarket heads?

Can you tell I haven't messed with a BBF?? Can you tell I have a BUNCH of questions regarding this swapover?
    I know a guy here in my area that told me $300 for a 460 and transmission from a truck. I would definitely be getting it tore down and cleaned and heads redone at a local machine shop. A transmission shop about 50 miles from here can rebuild the C6. I dont know for how much, though. I know a few folks at the local track that could rebuild it, but I am not hearing good things about their dependability. One guy told me to take mine to TCI and get it built there. They are in Memphis and that is a 2 hr. trip each way.

Thanks,
    Ed

4. gt94

hi I had an 82gt with a mild 460 running 6.80 in the 1/8 at102 with a 100 shot with a c6 and 370 gears and 27'' tires the 460's make a lot of torque and I had trouble with it burning high gear clutches. I later built a 520 bbf with a TV8101 on it like Gryphon said you wont have any trouble with spoolup :chacha: theres another member on here the ultimate hellhound that is doing a bbf in a gt buildup his is going to be streetable I am going the small block route this time a 408w and an S400 from Dave at Majestic you might want to run it na. for a while it will be fun :2thumbs: any way good luck and you can do it :chacha:

5. Big_Ed

I thought about that, but since I already have half the car missing in the critical areas, I am going to try to collaborate the parts necessary to get started in the near future. In all honesty, I would like to show up with it the last day of the year and rip off a 6.** at the local track, then drive home in it. Something to get the loudmouths over there who were raggin on my Town Car to eat some humble pie with...

6. gt94

it should not be a problem I would focus on the chassis; tubular k member coilover front struts and setting the engine back and low as possible. if you decide to go with a different combo you will still be ahead. no matter how much power you make you have to put it to the ground and go straight. A set of thru the floor sub frame connectors and a nice rollbar will stiffen it up and keep you safe

7. gofastmerc

With as much torque as your going to be making, you're not going to be needing much gear. I would bet a set of 3.23s would work great. Depending on what transmission you end up using.

8. Big_Ed

I did make a decision to go ahead and get a C6 for it. If this guy still has the combo for $300, then I will get it. But that is about 2-4 weeks away. (TAX MONEY)

9. TimIacobucci

There is a guy Scott J who has a website about how to make stock iron heads flow a ton

this is his website http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

Jay at broader performance has all the parts you need. He's even got complete 1000hp capable c6's for sale on there at his shop.

http://www.broaderperformance.com/

These are the best resources I can suggest for a very similar project I will be doing.

10. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Big blocks love freeway gears. Anything beyond 3.73 s will slow you down. My old 460 79 Fairmont ran quicker with 2.73 s in the rear than with a set of 3.55 s . However, the car was more consistent with the 3.55 s than the 2.73 s.

Torque is wonderful !! :D

11. ultimatehellhound

Well I really don't think it's going to take much to make your 600 horse goal. I used to run a 466. It made 475 to the wheels through the mufflers, a glide, N/A, and on 93 octane. Before you think that wasn't much realize that it made 535 ft lbs. I didn't dyno it on the spray but it was a 325 shot so you do the math. BB Fords are extremely durable. That motor had a stock block and a cheap Eagle cast crank.This was a fully streetable motor and I drove it to work all the time. I'm active duty military and going through the security checkpoints was interesting and other than the MP's stairing at me I never had any problems.

Now I've got an HX60, BOSS 429 crank, 4 bolt block, ported Blue Thunder aluminum heads, and basically every other cool gadget. I'm hoping for 800 at the wheels for the first year. After that I'll get a 101mm and who knows what it will make then. I just want to practice with the tune for the first year and put around on the street.

Here's some pics of the headers. They really weren't that hard to make. Manifolds would be easier but realize that there is'nt alot of room in there for them. But with as cheap as you can get them for you might as well try it.

12. TimIacobucci

ultimatehellhound that mustang of yours is maybe one of the most badass vehicles I have ever seen. You gotta let us know when you get that running how it goes.

What kind of cam and rpm are you looking at on the new 429 build? I am interested to know how that hx60 spools with that setup. What trans and gear are you running with that setup?

gt94 could you tell us more about the 520 TV8101? How fast was it? How fast did it spool? How come you are going small block now?

13. mustang-junky

Wicked car. I wan tto se more :rock2:

14. slwt13

Hound, very disappointed that we haven't seen more of this car. We need to get an update if your still around.

15. mustang-junky

x2

16. move

Look,,, here we all are!! Us 460ford.com guys!

This really amazes me that no one offers some turbo headers for the 460 / Mustang. Mine is going to be a 472 with a S400!

17. vader_turbo

Looks like theres a market, why doesn't someone start fabbing some???

18. mustang-junky

Is a S400 going to be enough turbo for a 472?

I have a '69 460 in my garage and lots of ideas floating around my head. To bad I just got all the machine work done on my 351.

Jess

19. move

Probably not! By the math it was only going to be good up to 14-15 lbs. Some folks say that would be good for 1,000hp but other believe it would be in the 800hp range. I'd be happy with 800hp.

But when we fab the hot side we are going to leave enough room for another turbo or a larger one. (Atleast that's the plan.)

Oh, this is Jones off the 460ford site.

20. ultimatehellhound

I'm still ticking. I went back to Iraq in May and my wife got sick so I'm back now. I will be getting out of the Army in a few weeks and moving back to IL. I'm just waiting on the mountian of paperwork from the Army. Since I'll be back in IL I'm going to run it on E-85 since there are about 10 gas stations that sell it within 15 miles of town. I'm buying a house and having another baby any day now so it's been a little hectic lately. But rest assured now that I'm out of the Army I'll have plenty of time on my hands to get this thing on the road. Should be painted and running by the first nice day in spring. All I need to do is paint it, install a BOV, install a wastegate, finish a crossover pipe, and finish shortblock. I will be taking it over to Rick at Anderson Ford to use his dyno and tune it as soon as I get it finished and then it will be on the street. I'll keep you all posted on how things are going. Internet access is a little hard from the middle of Iraq so once again sorry for dissapearing.