1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BBC timing on 30psi and e85

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by b20mr2, Jan 8, 2020.

1. b20mr2

Hey everyone, I have some questions about what timing you have seen at 30psi and e85. I have been making some pulls on the street and it’s been as high as 27.8 psi of boost. Timing is around 14.5 degrees at 7200rpm.
    It pulls hard, a couple of times I have heard it break up alil at the top of 2nd . I looked in the logs and do not see any active limiters but the rpm stays the same for a few MSeconds. I’m thinking maybe the timing is too low? Or is it spark blow out? Thanks guys for any info.

BBC standard bore 454 . Made 1059 whp on 13psi of boost and 22’ of timing
    Chinese bbc square port heads milled to 100cc chambers.
    4.250 pistons with a .250 dome.
    compression is 9.8:1
    Piston is .030 in the hole, head gasket is .030 . (Aluminum rods)
    4.00 stroke.
    Haltech elite 2500
    Id2000 injectors (110% duty cycle at peak boost 27.8)
    Fuel pressure base 62 psi (solid 62psi at 27.8 psi of boost) is the fuel pressure supposed to be closer to 90psi ?
    Weldon 1:1 regulator
    Ngk R5671A-8 plugs (.015 gap)
    3x 380 lph quantum e85 fuel pumps. -12 supply. -10 feed -10 return. -10 vent
    E85.
    14.5’ to 15’ of timing at peak rpm. (7156rpm)
    11.6 afr on a gas scale.
    ls2 coil packs, sequential injection.

I’m scared to just shut down the engine after a pull to check the plugs because, Im worried the journal bearing turbo might grab/trash a bearing or I might drop an exhaust seat. Idk I’ve never shut down an engine that quickly so not sure what the problems I could cause.
    I wanna check the plugs to figure out this intermittent “breaking up” sound I’m hearing sometimes. I’m just not sure if maybe it’s too rich for 14.5 degrees of timing or it’s blowing the plugs out or what.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Mnlx

Your fuel pressure should definitely be rising equal to boost so theres an issue there. Intercooler? Timing is tricky but you're in the ballpark at your high boost level imo, but plugs tell the story. Whats your plug gap?

3. b20mr2

So I checked the logs and fuel pressure is around 50.2 at idle (-8in vac)
    @22 psi of boost it gets up to about 67.2psi of fuel pressure then starts falling off when injector duty cycle starts rising, with higher boost. But the logs all show everything is fine as far as afr (11.6 afr) and 15’ timing, intake temps with just water flowing the intercooler only gets up to 98’..
    my long term fuel trim is up to 25% correction so maybe it’s correcting a bunch? It doesn’t show in the fuel correction table, when I applied the corrections to the fuel map all the corrections were drivability no boost. Idk maybe I’m just not understanding the fuel trim correction and need to start logging that as well. Plugs are gapped at .015

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  4. 64nailhead

Still around?

Not enough fuel pump, fuel line size or amperage at the fuel pump IMO.

luckythirteen13 likes this.
  5. b20mr2

Yes thank you, I believe you are right. I’m out of fuel pump the higher the boost I go the lower the fuel pressure. I ended up lowering boost and added timing. Going 140+ in the 1/8th in 18psi and 18/19’ of timing. Gotta start limiting the front end more, but so far so good. Thanks for the reply’s

64nailhead likes this.