1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Strange spooling sound. It spools and pulls but sounds like it is sputtering

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ng8264723, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ng8264723

My truck has twin t-3's. When you accelerate it whistles as usual but today it seemed like the turbo was sputtering. What could that be? It is a newly rebuilt cartridge in one and a nice used in the other

2. Holeshot121

Do a YouTube search for compressor surge and compare it to your noise.

3. half-fast

Yup sounds like one is back feeding the other, surge

4. poboyracin

Need to check your blades. It sounds like surge but if it just started, something is going on with one of your turbos.

Spin both turbos and see if you notice one harder to turn than the other.

5. jaredsamurai

I'd assume that if both wastgate springs weren't matched rather closely, that the lesser sprung turbo would surge do to lack of turbine speed.

6. ng8264723

It's strange that it didn't do it before. I will definately look at the blades. The wastegates are both opened by the same type of actuator

7. jaredsamurai

Make sure both wastegate lines are in good shape. Probably wanna pressure check both diaphragms for similar cracking pressures and leaks too. Also if the actuator rods are adjustable, make sure both are adjusted to the same preload. This also goes for clocking the compressor about the turbine to line up your charge pipes. If you move the compressor housing around causing the actuator rod angle to change, it could throw things off.

8. ng8264723

It was a turbine exhaust leak! I have a y pipe leak that i have been meaning to fix so i missed it!