1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BBC N/A to Twins build needing advice

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by sterling454, May 20, 2014.

1. sterling454

Turbo newb and forum newb. Car is a 1989 Camaro 438 big block, 13 to 1 comp., 714 solid roller, 6100 stall,5.14 geared race car. I want to make it a street/strip car to be able to drive it more than once a month for 10 seconds at a time. I would like it to hit the 1K whp mark. What turbos will get me there? Will 160lb injectors be enough? I have a $7k budget. Is it enough or am I dreaming?

This is what I have thought of so far.
    Holley Dominator EFI on E85
    Lower compression pistons 10 to 1. would small domes work or are flat tops required?
    OBX up & forward headers. Are these a good choice?
    Have cam reground to hydraulic roller. Can that be done?
    3500 stall converter
    3.50 gears

002.jpg #ad

013.jpg #ad

2. Rickracer

You can run hydraulics on a solid cam, but not solids on a hydraulic cam. Solid cams have a "clearance ramp" ground in to take up the lash smoothly, hydraulics rely on the cushion of the oil to accomplish that. Having said that, I'd still have it reground as a hydraulic.

3. leeperryracing

Since you're on a budget, a BW s480 for $800 will easily get you low 10s or better on that 438...people will say that's too small yada yada....unless you wanna set the world on fire, it'll work fine. For more power potential, you could also get a T6 Garrett GT91 from forceinductions.com for around $1300, that'll put you in the 8s if the car doesn't weigh a fuck ton lol. If you're dead set on twins, can't go wrong with a couple ebay gt45s or bw s475s but those are large and heavy, hence hard to package especially in a thirdgen camaro, I run a TT '86 camaro so I know lol.

4. sterling454

Rick, yeah, I will be going hydraulic roller due to the street driving and that I am lazy. I want as low maintenance as possible. I wanted to use my existing cam as a core for regrind. I emailed Lil John and was told the centerline on my cam is too tight to regrind to a turbo cam.

5. sterling454

Lee, does the s475 fit in the battery tray area? How much would each one weigh? I'd like to do twins to have short hot sides and yeah to set the world on fire lol. Anyway car weighs 3200 without driver and 3400 with. It runs 10.60's as is just too radical to do any street driving. I am shooting for 1000 rwhp and 8 second time slips.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. leeperryracing

Sterling, the passenger side in our cars for mounting turbos is easier than the drivers side mainly cuz of that big, worthless steering box. The BW s475/480 are easily 40+lb turbos, 2 can fit in a thirdgen but it'd be TIGHT and you'd have to cut into the metal up top behind the rad so you can lean it all the way forward/upright for added clearance for those size turbos. Im running 2 t4 66mm units and it was tight so 2 t6 s475s would require some shoehorning to say the least lol

7. Rickracer

If I were doing a 3rd Gen Camaro, I'd put a rack in it anyway, ;)
    I did a rack and pinion in my Vega, and it was a GREAT improvement, ;) :cool:

8. sterling454

Thanks for the input guys.

9. leeperryracing

Rickracer, I thought about putting a rack in mine many times but the car is street driven a lot so the power steering is really nice then

10. Rickracer

I did a rack and pinion conversion on a customer's 69 Vette, it was a kit, and high $$, but really worth it. Did a Hydroboost setup on it too. I've also done a Power R & P conversion on a '64 Fairlane for another customer, turned out pretty good, I used a Chrysler FWD rack on that one, (it was rear steer). I used a Sweet Manufacturing circle/dirt track rack on my car, picked it up on the h-body forum for $50, along with some tie rod ends, it had a bent rack shaft, (why it was so cheap), straightened it in the press, bought some boots, and had a ready to use unit for less than $100.

11. leeperryracing

If I did one, it'd have to be power because its not a track only car not to mention I'll lose considerable amount of turning radius if the spindle mod is not done to equal stock turning radius again....not good for the street, track only who cares? Lol

12. Forcefed86

Sweet setup!

Nothing against big blocks, but they just aren't needed for 1000hp turbo car these days. Not practical or affordable IMO. In all honesty I wouldn't bother with the big block. Sell that sucker the way is sits. Then jump head first into the new LS engines if you want to play with turbos. Any reason for the 1000hp goal? Specific ET your looking for? 1000hp is pretty lofty and useless on a street car IMO. You can make enough power with a $500 5.3 with a single $650 turbo to put that car in the low 9 sec range. With a 7k budget and the money from selling your big block, you could build a forged 370 and semi reliably have a 1000+hp street car.

Good luck!

13. sterling454

I have thought about going the LS route many times. It's just because I have a lot into already and would hate to sell it for 50 cents on the dollar. It is all forged internally , studded, as so on. And I as I stated prior I am lazy and would hate to start all over again also. I want an 8 second street/strip car. Mostly for bragging rights and for the fun of going that fast. I do appreciate the input and the compliment. If the big block blows later on I'll probably switch.

14. sterling454

What do you guys think of using either two Magnum T72 or T76 Q-trims. I called M&M Turbo they are going to send me the maps and some pictures next to an S475 for comparison.
    I really don't know much about them. I think pdqwagon runs some T70 MPs with about the same size engine. I believe the MPs and the Magnums are the same. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

15. leeperryracing

2 t76 with q-trim exhaust wheels would work fine for your goals....quick spool for sure even with the 76mm wheels

16. sterling454

Cool Thanks