1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

bbc cast crank strength?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by TwinTLuv, May 11, 2013.

1. TwinTLuv

I was wondering what kinda power levels a factory gm 454 cast crank is good for? Im looking to make 750+whp, I have a set of scat I beam rods with 7/16 capscrew bolts and probe forged 8:1 pistons along with twin ebay gt45s.

2. BlownShovel

depends....

Although not the safest choice at the power level you are looking for --- it will work. Keep tune and RPM in check

I ran the heck out of cast BBC cranks. NA/Nitrous/Boost --- Most notable would have to be NA spinning 7800rpm (hitting 8 a couple times) at around 770hp. Ran reworked 3/8" rods and heavy trw pistons... At one freshen up I noticed that the crank may have bent slightly.

For your goal a cheap forged may be the better choice (peace of mind) Also prep the block . Some blocks start moving and doing strange things once at 1000hp and you will be nearing that.