1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help me with my build

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by wickedcobra, Sep 9, 2008.

1. wickedcobra

Its my first post on this site. Ive done some searching, and still had a couple questions. Im looking into the turbo side of life, :welder:, and though maybe i could get some advise. The car is a 65 mustang and weighs about 2900 with me in it. My goals are be able to run a mid to high 9 through a C4 trani using a 331 with a intercooled (A/A) Turbo. The parts that i know i want to use are a C&S Blow through carb, 331 Dart shortbock and a funnel web intake. SO what do i need for heads? What size turbo do i need? What size down pipe? What size exhaust? Any other suggestions, options, things to think about? Anything helps because in the turbo world, im totally lost! THANKS!

Suspension is Mini tub with Shortened 8.8
    Spring Relocation
    Calvert Mono-leaf springs
    Cal-trac's
    Rancho 9000 shocks

Up Front-
    Roller Spring Perches
    Calvert 90/10's
    I6 Springs

2. TeeJay

A T-76 or the new Masterpower 76mm should put you into the 9.xx very well with a 331ci engine. Heads? Any of the aftermarket heads will do (aluminum of coarse) TFS, Edelbrock, Dart, AFR etc. Make sure you get good springs with the heads that match your camshaft. A difference maker in the turbo world can be the camshaft, so consult a company for a custom bumpstick. Good ignition and supporting electronics are key players in a build also. MSD Digitial 7 boxes are nice pieces and will do everything you need in a blow through application. In a 65' mustang its going to be difficult to fit an intercooler of decent size into the compartment without major modification. So maybe non-intercooled meth-injection is an option you could ponder. Thats all for now.