1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Basic tuning before being dyno'd?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 95_5.0_stang, Sep 4, 2008.

1. 95_5.0_stang

Well I got my car running the other day for the first time in awhile. I put together my own turbo kit including a MP T70, Tial BOV and Wastegate, Ebay Intercooler, MBC, and a wideband on a 95 mustang GT. I've swapped out plugs for one heat range colder, set fuel pressure to 40psi and timing to a locked in 20*. 42lb injectors and 255lph fuel pump are in the car. Car seems to idle well, and wideband reads somewhere around 10.5 or so, and then leans out real quick as you get higher in the rpms. The car stumbles, while trying to rev it up a bit and runs like crap. For PCV all I've done is disconnect line from valve cover to TB and then capped the TB nipple. Planning to run a vacuum line from PCV to a catch can soon though. What else do I need to do, or can I do before taking it to be dyno'd? And how well should it run before taking it to dyno? I'm planning to have a chip burned. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry might be in the wrong section!

2. blacksaleen95

well for 1 10.5 idle is waaaaaaaaay too rich. You should be idling around 14.0-15.0

I'd back the timing down to 18 until you actually have the car tuned. 40psi base is kinda low...and that 255 lb pump is going to be too small with any type of hp. As long as you can drive the car there if your tuner is worth a damn you'll be fine afterwards.

Also, PLEASE do some research on tuners before you just go getting the car tuned. Just cause places offer "dyno" tuning doesn't mean that the car will run after. Strapping a car to a non-load dynojet and maknig some wot passes with afr and timing changes is not a tune.

Find someone in teh area that will put the car on a load beaing dyno (dyno dynmaics..most with eddy current cells) and someone that is going to give you a full tune, idle, pt, wot. Even if you have to spend another 300 bucks on a tune like that you're going to be much happier in the long run. A WOT pos dynojet "tune" is worthless on a street car. How often are you at wot? 2% on the streeet?? Good luck!

3. 95_5.0_stang

Alright, thanks for the information. At idle it goes anywhere from 10.5 to 14.8 or so I guess now that I think about it. But if I rev it up real quick it jumps up real lean. If anyone sees this post that's from Michigan....who do you recommend for a tune? And you say the 255 is too small....isn't that what a majority of stock motor with a turbo on them are running around here?

4. Jay Meagher

Plug gap? Also while your car is on the dyno put a timing light on it and make sure the timing isn't drifting around.... Even though it's locked 94-95 cars are wacky. A 255 without BAP should be watched closely after 450 whp. At that point your close to out of nozzle also... and engine block...

Raising base fuel pressure is a bad idea as pressure goes up volume goes down. Your 255lph pump may move around 200lph at 60psi. Also keep in mind your raising fuel pressure under boost on the regulator, so 40 base with 10psi is 50psi on the gauge but still 40psi at the nozzle.

5. 95_5.0_stang

Plug gap is .040. 450whp is a bit more then I'm even asking for. I'd easily be satisfied with 400whp. So what are you recommending that I set the fuel pressure to?

6. mustangless

I think you want your plugs no larger than .035, if you have stock ignition its probably going to be have to be around .030. If it were me I would put the timing back on 10* and plug the spout in. Just make sure you drive safely. Also, I would leave the FP at the stock level (39 I think)

When you get to the tuner he should be able to set your timing so that it is normal until higher loads, then it locks out to whatever (18-22ish) and modify your fuel tables. Make sure you bring your flowsheet to your maf if you got it. If you don't have your act sensor in the cold side piping, you might want to do that. If the temps start climbing the computer will pull timing.

7. Jay Meagher

My comment was made on watching timing drift because I have had 94-95 cars that you couldn't get them to hold solid timing. Make sure you check timing with a light, on the dyno. Plug gap .030

8. 95_5.0_stang

Alright sounds good. The car has just a stock coil, but msd 6al box. I'll pull plugs out and set at .030-.035, and it will give me a chance to see what they look like too.

9. tonym

ask your tuner. When I had a chip, he wanted teh base timing at 10, spout in, and fuel press at 38lbs.

10. cammerfe

For tuning in Detroit West Suburbs, call 734 455 5807 Ask for Scott
    KS