1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Banks TT 496

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by Weedy, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Weedy

I have an 496 Mag base (375hp) that drives a jet boat. I have an old Banks TT draw through setup from a 454 that I would like to bolt on to it. It has 1/2" holes bored in the turbine to limit the boost to 6-8psi on a 454, I am guessing that it may be a little higher on the 496. Turbocharger(Hugh MacInnes) book indicates its a good fit. I would ditch the carb and connect the intercooler to feed the TB.

My Question of the day: I would like to plug the turbine holes and run 35mm external wastegate to reduce lag and have adjustable boost if it looks like I can safely wrap/shield the pipes as they are an inboard boat situation.

2. Weedy

A slight progress update: I have made 2ea SS spacers to fit between the water jacketed cooled exhaust manifolds and the sweeping right angle up-pipes that the turbos mount on. The spacers are 5"OD x 2.5"L and 3" tapered to 2.5" ID and have a 1.75" port bored at 25deg to add a 60 deg bend pipe to mount the 38mm h20 cooled WGs in paralell to the manifold. ( a picture and drawing will go here). The assys. are short and can easily be ceramic coated and\or exhaust wrapped.

Im not sure if I can re-introduce the WG dumps to the water cooled exhaust or if It is better to dump them directly overboard. I think the adding a fitting to the water jacketed final elbow could be a problem. A third thru transom exhaust port might be best.

Q: Is there value in ceramic coating the inside of the h2o jacketed manifold, spacer and up pipe to retain exhaust heat??