1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bad sh$t happens when an engine gets locked up by a torque converter bolt

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by ShaneH, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ShaneH

OK, a bolt backed out of the torque converter and hit on the back of the block while I was starting it. After that, there was a tapping that I thought was valvetrain. We pulled the engine though and this is what I found..............

Stopping an engine as the mixture in a combustion chamber is exploding and expanding is damn hard on the engine. It actually cracked the crown of the piston, too. So the extent of the damage is one .180 wall tool steel pin, one CP custom piston, and probably a GRP pro aluminum rod. I'll send the rod to GRP but I'm thinking it's a paperweight now. :( Oh well, fairly easy to fix.

pin1.JPG #ad

2. Anthony Fury

Ouch!! That sucks man....

3. Drlee50

on your new motor?? ouch! guess you will be stocking up on red thread locker and maybe some bolt lock wires

4. ShaneH

Yep, only have about 15 passes on it. Will definitely be using loktite on it next time. Luckily, we have a spare 324ci shortblock. I'll swap these heads on it tomorrow and start putting it back in by the weekend.

5. Frank02L

Ouch. I'll take the hurt 324 :)

6. Valentino

That sucks good luck

7. Bellman Jeff

Feel thankful it didn't back out and hit the block at about the 1000 foot mark..

8. ShaneH

No kidding Jeff! Luckily, it happend when I was starting it. It would have done some crazy damage at 8000rpm.

I did find 4 leaking intake valves. I assume they're bent and have been for years. LOL.

9. svooh

Yes...Locktite all components dealing with rotating stuff: torque converter, clutch, flywheel, etc...