1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Backpressure in TWIN TURBO setups-Is it less common of a problem?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by exo, Jan 31, 2012.

1. exo

Putting this out there to the guys who have more than average experience with twins. Is it fair to say that its less common to have huge backpressure problems when you run twin turbos. I understand that theirs many factors that affect backpressure. This is Not a drag car.

My setup is from the 1999-2001 timeframe at TDC Turbo Driven Concepts-out of Hialeah FL.

351 Windsor motor, mild cam, Twin T66's Turbonetics-P trim with .58 a/r turbine on-center housings, 1-5/8" headers, twin 3" downpipes, 2 1/2" cold side, 3" A/A intercooler and 3" into t/body. Also I run dual 3" exhaust,no cats,crossover,x pipe and full 3" tailpipes.

Mufflers are the Dynomax Super Turbo. Can these mufflers be extremely restrictive, b/c they were inexpensive? Noticed on some similar threads that guys had data supporting Magnaflow mufflers were much Less restrictive then other brands. Thanks for your help and dealing with this long thread.

2. M&M Turbochargers

you might want to check out the brand name "pypes" i got a angle straight through 3.5" for about 80.00

3. cat herder

There's two kinds of backpressure in a turbo setup, pre-turbine and post-turbine. Pre-turbine BP is created by the turbine wheel & housing, and is a necessary evil as that restriction is what drives the turbo. Post-turbine BP should always, no matter what, be as low as possible; high BP here only robs energy that'd otherwise be used to spin the shaft.

99% of the talk about backpressure here is about turbine sizing.

Yes, super turbo mufflers are a multi-pass flow design and are not what you want with a turbocharger.

4. exo

Thanks Guys.

Cat herder thanks for the detailed explanation. That helped me understand Back Pressure issues much clearer. Will try to address both sides of the turbine. I will be replacing the .58 a/r's on-centers with .81 a/r's soon. As far as the mufflers are concerned will look into replacing them with a straight thru design. Can I still get the straight thru design even though I need inlet offset/outlet offset mufflers? Thanks again.

IMG_1429[1].jpg #ad

IMG_1430[1] - Copy.jpg #ad

40%275kbP8210112 - Copy.JPG #ad

60%P6070242 - Copy.JPG #ad

IMG_1428[2].jpg #ad

5. M&M Turbochargers

the pypes muffler i have is a offset inlet offset outlet

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

Change one thing at a time! You will most likely need to retune affer changes. Pull the mufflers off and see what the noise level is and if it improves performance. Are The exhaust housing's t4 based?

7. exo

Yes their T4 based.

8. Unatural

Hooker Maximum Flow mufflers are also a straight through design that you can get in whatever offset you need. I've had them on my car since I put the first turbo kit on and love them. I don't have any experience with other, similar designed, mufflers on my car, but I will say that the ones I have are very quiet, but you can look straight through them as well.

9. cat herder

10. Disney Lincoln

Big fan of the Hooker Aerochambers myself. I've also used the Dynomax with great success.

11. Disney Lincoln

Oh, and Exo... That car is freakin SICK!!!! Nice ride!!!

12. BADGMC

Aerochambers worked good for me too. New truck has Dynomax Ultra Flo Rounds and they are real nice and all stainless. I think going to .81's will really let it breath better. .58's are to small especially in an on center housing.

13. blown385

I like these too . :2thumbs:

14. exo

Thanks Guys.

And Disney Thanks for the compliment. The car really is a cool ride. Love the twins sitting up high. People who are not auto enthusiasts or car guys always ask, "What are all those pipes". Its cool to see peoples reactions.

Also Disney FL. is great. My kids w.i.s.h. they could live near Disney!

15. stangman9897

Did you do the body kits your self or did it come that way , like Disney said sick and im not a fan of red cars.

Like Randy said the best mufflers for a turbo car is the turbo exhaust housing. This is what im going to try , just put it on the end of the down pipes.

muffler 002.jpg #ad

muffler 003.jpg #ad

muffler 001.jpg #ad

16. exo

The car is an original 1997 Saleen S281. Everything that's part of the body panels is original factory S281 Saleen stuff except for the rear wing. That's an aftermarket S351 Saleen wing. That's the way i purchased the car. Thanks