1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin turbo 302 build - help/advise needed...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jamie@fastfordmag, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jamie@fastfordmag

Hi guys,

Firstly I just want to say what a great forum this is - I've been browsing it for months but now have finally got round to signing up :)

The reason I have is because I'm building a budget twin turbo 302, and living in the UK no-one seems to know anything about these engines so I thought I'd ask what you guys think to the following; The engine is a 5.0 HO from an '89 Thunderbird, block will stock but with ARP bolts, mains stud and nut kit, and head stud and nut kit. The Turbos are custom one-offs (I know a friendly turbo builder ;)) and they are based on the Garrett T4, and I'm using the Mustang turbo manifolds.

My first question is; - what cam should I use? Will the stock one be fine, or do I need a turbo specific cam?

Secondly, and my biggest debat so far, is do I go blow-through carb or EFi? I already have EFI intake, but will need fule rails, injectors, regulator, and ECU to run it. Or if I go carb I will need an intake manifold, carb, and some form of ignition.

What do you guys think? And EFi is the way to go, what engine management should I use?

Thanks guys

2. xr8tt

I would keep the EFI and use Lightning MAF with correct sized injectors..
    From memory they are 42's.?????
    A Walbro 225/ Bosch 040 in tank pump...
    I guess your running E7 heads ???
    Home port them around bowl area with good valve springs..
    One range colder plugs to be safe...
    Depending how EEC you are ??
    Tune with http://support.moates.net/2010/11/30/ford-guide-getting-started-with-moates-hardware/
    Or use MSD boost retard ignition system..
    IMO std cam with 1.7 rockers..
    Get an early EEC which is on Moates list..
    Injectors etc come up for sale here or over on Corral.net...
    If cam is a must ??
    The F303 works well..

3. Andy Dorsett

Keep the EFI. I'm assuming you have a stock type long runner manifold. This will boost low speed torque which spools the turbo faster.

4. jamie@fastfordmag

Looks like EFi is the way to go then ;)

So, what ECU do I need? Those tunes in the above link all work with the standard Mustang EEC? If so, how much is a Mustang ECU and wiring harness?